Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nurse with Student Loan---???Forgiveness

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nurse with Student Loan---???Forgiveness

HI,

I started paying my loans in 1999.  I work for a non profit hospital.  Does anyone know how I would be able to get the loan forgiveness program.  The jargon is over my head. 

thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Nurse with Student Loan---???Forgiveness

http://www.studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/charts/public-service

That is the link you need to go to.  It will tell you what type of employment you have to have, and other requirements you have to meet.  It will also lead you to the paperwork you need to file if you do qualify.

If you have specific questions about something on that page, we may be able to clarify, or you could contact your lender for help.  You're the only one who knows the details of your situation though, so it's best if you look over the requirements and determine if you might meet them.

Message 2 of 6
ebonyjoi

Go to the HRSA website, you should definitely be eligible for loan forgiveness if your facility is on the critical shortage list. Good luck! I was eligible except for one silly $1k perkins loan that I let go into default. You cannot have defaulted on any federal loans, among other requirements.

Starting Score: 579 (TU) 501 (EQ)
Current Score: 612 (TU) 579 (EQ)
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
203bravo
Established Contributor

What must I do to have any remaining balances on my Direct Loans forgiven under the PSLF Program?

• You must make 120 on-time, full, scheduled, monthly payments on your Direct Loans. Only payments made after October 1, 2007 qualify.

Looks like the 1st opportunity to get the forgiveness is coming up in October 2017.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Darn, thank you...

well 4 more years Is better than 11 I guess. 

Message 5 of 6
203bravo
Established Contributor

So true --- as others have said, check the website.. there are other hoops that you and your employer must jump through to make sure you get the credit for the payments made.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.