Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Past Due Student Loans - Need Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Past Due Student Loans - Need Help!

In July, I lost my job.  Unemployment covered nearly all of my expenses aside from my private student loans with Wells Fargo.  I have 7 student loans through them with a balance of approx $73K and monthly payments of $835.  I missed 3 payments (July-September).  In October I was told to make a minimum payment of $835 in order to prevent my accounts from being accelerated.  I made the payment.  It counted as July's payment.  In November, I made another payment.  This was considered my August payment.  I was told if I made 6 consecutive, on-time payments the past due amount would be placed at the end of the loan and my accounts would begin to report as current.  However, the past due payments would not be removed from my credit report. 

In addition, before making the first minimum payment in October, I asked if I could catch up on some of my accounts since there are 7 and therefore 7 negatives on my credit report.  I was told the lender would not care that some of my accounts were current and would charge off all the accounts.  At this point, my FICO has dropped over 200 points based on the 3 late payments.  I am only working a temporary job which could end any day. 

My main question is whether allowing the lender to charge off my accounts and send them to collections will be any worse than what I am facing right now.  Will a collections agency be more willing to negotiate monthly payments? The $835/month is killing me.  I have 2 other private lenders who I pay about $400 month too and my federal loans are in deferral through February, that payment will be close to $500.

Any ideas on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: Past Due Student Loans - Need Help!

You do NOT want a private loan to default...the payments will be no easier.  Plus even if you are paying on the loans, they will eventually file suit so you will end up with a judgement against you.  This is standard with private loans.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told by them that if I make 6 consecutive on time payments they will place the past due amount to the back of the loan, making my account current.  Can they still file suit?

Why are they allowed to give me 7 negatives for the 7 accounts but still require me to pay on all the accounts? I could get 4 of them current but I was told they would still be charged off.  Can a current account be charged off based on delinquent accounts to the same lender?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's their money.

If you were paying as agreed, you'd have every right to direct any overpayment to the loan of your choice.

Message 4 of 6
IWANTTOJOINTHE700CLUB
New Visitor

@Anonymous wrote:

In July, I lost my job.  Unemployment covered nearly all of my expenses aside from my private student loans with Wells Fargo.  I have 7 student loans through them with a balance of approx $73K and monthly payments of $835.  I missed 3 payments (July-September).  In October I was told to make a minimum payment of $835 in order to prevent my accounts from being accelerated.  I made the payment.  It counted as July's payment.  In November, I made another payment.  This was considered my August payment.  I was told if I made 6 consecutive, on-time payments the past due amount would be placed at the end of the loan and my accounts would begin to report as current.  However, the past due payments would not be removed from my credit report. 

In addition, before making the first minimum payment in October, I asked if I could catch up on some of my accounts since there are 7 and therefore 7 negatives on my credit report.  I was told the lender would not care that some of my accounts were current and would charge off all the accounts.  At this point, my FICO has dropped over 200 points based on the 3 late payments.  I am only working a temporary job which could end any day. 

My main question is whether allowing the lender to charge off my accounts and send them to collections will be any worse than what I am facing right now.  Will a collections agency be more willing to negotiate monthly payments? The $835/month is killing me.  I have 2 other private lenders who I pay about $400 month too and my federal loans are in deferral through February, that payment will be close to $500.

Any ideas on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated!

similar situation.  if you can get a forebearance or deferment either would be great.  they have something called a hardship forebearance or deferment.  this will allow you time to reaccess your situation.  as you know these are nondischargeable so eventually you have to pay them.  i'm not sure if you know this but if you are licensed for your state as anything physician, attorney,etc. this could impact your licensure.  i started with the hardship which gave me time to reaccess the situation and i am telling you i jumped up 100+ points in one month by coming current with the hardship and making 1 payment.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I am not eligible for the hardship forbearance.

I am extremely stressed out because the bank wants me to make another $835 payment next week and that is my entire paycheck.  My job is only going to last until the week before Christmas.  I may have to miss this next payment so I don't have lates on all of my other bills which is terrible because I have been killing myself the last 3 months that I paid. Not to mention I haven't touched the past due amount so the payments I am making are considered late anyway.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.