Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

owing tuition question.

tag
Nightfallx
New Contributor

owing tuition question.

i owe a tuition bill and i have an amazing job and don't plan on going back to college, the college here is horrible. my question is if i don't pay my tuition bill, will anything happen? like anything on my CR.  this is not a loan, just a school tuition fee.

in my wallet:
Amex Zync : NPSL (main card always pif)
Discover More: 6,500$ (no balance)
Chase Sapphire : 5000.00$ (no balance)
Citi Thank You Card backed by Amex 8,200$ (no balance)
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Best Buy Store Card : 5,700$ (I'm a nerd so used a lot)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: owing tuition question.

your college could send your outstanding balance to a collection agency, & that could go on your credit report.  if you are able to, you should just pay it, so you don't have to worry about it popping up one day unexpectedly.  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
Nightfallx
New Contributor

how long do you think it'd be before it pops up? I don't wanna blow 1000$ this close to Christmas, i rather just use my income tax.

in my wallet:
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Message 3 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

i don't know.  some places/businesses/schools/whatever are quicker to send you off to collections than others.  for example, the university here took about 45 days to send my girlfriend to collections for a $500 bill.  verizon on the other hand waited about 5 months before they sent my account to collections (a long time ago!)

is this a tuition bill from this semester?  what was your deadline for paying it?  i'm actually behind on my tuition at the moment too, but i have until 1/31 to pay it off.

Message 4 of 7
Nightfallx
New Contributor

i'll just go up to the school monday and talk to them, im sure if i tell them i want to set up a payment plan or something they will, i was suppose to recieve financhial aid, half way through they told me no im not and said oh to late for a loan, you owe us 1000$

in my wallet:
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Message 5 of 7
Nightfallx
New Contributor

i don't know how to see my deadline, i think i will just use my creditcard to pay it off that way it's out of the way.

in my wallet:
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Message 6 of 7
Tazman81
Established Contributor

I have to agree with Laz, try to setup some type of payment plan.  The vast majority of schools will work easily with students to do payment plans.

And prior to using your credit card to make the payment, make sure you validate some things.

#1:  Some schools charge a fee if you use a credit card to make a payment

#2:  Make sure it will be a standard "purchase" and not counted as a cash advance (which would cause you to incur a fee from your credit card company and a higher interest rate)

Good luck and let us know what the business office says.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.