Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question?

tag
naf
Valued Member

A question?

I have just started posting on here and have already learned a lot of information ~ I thank everyone so much for answering all my many questions.

Now, for another one! Smiley Happy

Its taken me four very LONG years to slowly drag my credit out of the mud until I'm at a point where my credit score is a fairly decent 748 or so. I've been very diligent about learning what affects a credit score and how it affects the score. Much to my amazement, its not just about making all your payments on time!

I really don't know what my credit score was when I first started, but suffice it to say, I'm sure it was in the "you must be kidding" range! Now, its in the "well, at least it doesn't stink too badly" range. Smiley Happy

But seriously, is four years about the average length of time it takes to raise your score significantly? Does anyone have any idea how much longer it might take to go from 748 to say, 800, provided I keep doing everything right?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A question?

I'm sure the length of time depends upon what it is you're trying to fix in your CRs.  If you are waiting for baddies to drop off this could take years, but if your report has bogus accounts this could be fixed in a matter of weeks via dispute...  I increased about 170 points over a year and a half. 
Message 2 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, first of all, let me say that your "it doesn't stink too badly" score of 748 is only 12 points shy of where I hope to be in April 2009! Smiley Very Happy That is, in fact, a terrific score.

My only baddies are lates, although there are certainly enough of them. Beginning in April 07, I reduced util by paying off cards and increasing total available credit, and I increased my overall length of history by adding on to my husband's 18-year-old card. My EQ score has increased 90 points or so. I wish that I could say that was from my efforts, but a LOT of that is simply things getting older and hurting less. (And I stopped acquiring lates!!!)

And BTW, when I got that increased age (12 years --> 18 years), I initially lost a chunk of points, because it put me in a new score bucket. Nothing in FICO scoring is simple or straightforward.

Also, the pace of my score improvement is going to slow down a lot. I'm figuring 11 to 14 more months to get the final 70 points, and that might not happen depending on how much of a score hit I get when I add 3 cards this April.

In terms of what we can do to directly affect your scores and get things moving, I would say, in order:
1) Pay your cards down, and more than half of them off.
2) Increase your overall credit limit if you can without picking up too many inqs.
3) GW and PFD until your printer runs dry.
4) Wait. Be patient. We didn't get where we are overnight, and we won't repair it overnight.
But most importantly, like another poster, I have to quote Sylviatob's siggy: "Never ever, ever be late. Never." Never again, never again! Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 12
naf
Valued Member

Well, thank you both for your replies ~ As I said earlier, I'vebeen so thankful for all the replies to my earlier questions andfor all the great into.

You give me such encouragement when you say my 748 is a good score! Like you, I eventually hope to reach 800 ~ I'm just not sure how long it will take to reach it!

It sounds like you had a good increase earlier, yourself. Although I don't understand your statement that you initially lost some points because the increase put you in a new score bucket. I'm almost afraid to ask, but would you explain that one please?

As far as the suggestions ~ good ones ~ and some I'm doing ~ such as never being late ~ Also, I've paid down all my cards and only keep a balance of several hundred on one of them ~ Although I've paid off all other cards, I was forced recently to dust them off and start putting a couple of small charges (like a combo meal at Wendy's Smiley Happy ) to keep them active. I recently had one card CANCELLED for inactivity and I don't want any more to end up that way!

I also did ask for, and receive, from my Citibank card an $800 credit line increase ~ that's the most they would do without doing a credit check ~ but hey, I'll take what I can get!

Also, what did you mean when you said GW and PWD until my printer runs dry? Smiley Happy And why did you say you expect the pace of your improvement to slow down?

Thanks again ~

Message 4 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Without even being aware of it, you are in a score pool, bucket, etc (lots of terms for it) with other creditors who share some characteristics with you. It might be your length of credit history, it might be whether or not you have had a bankruptcy, it might be whether you have a thin or thick file (referring to the number of accounts you have), and so on. This is done so that your scores have a chance to improve as you move along. Otherwise, people just starting out, those who have gone through BK and so forth would be stuck at the bottom pretty much forever, while others with 20 years of clean history would get all the top scores.

(Bucket changes are not triggered by score movement, but by what is going on in the background which might have caused scores to change. A lot of people think that they go into a new bucket when they hit 700 or 720 or something, but that isn't what does it.)

So as you progress, you periodically move out of one group of credit peers into another one. When this happens, scores might well drop, as you are now being compared with people who might have better credit histories than you. So before I added on to my husband's card, I was being compared with others who had a middle-range length of history, and perhaps were more likely to have had lates cluttering up their reports and not many accounts. After I got on the card, my oldest history jumped from 12 years to 18 years, and I was suddenly being compared to those with equally long history and seemingly a lot less foolishness, and I lost 15 points.

It was pretty disheartening when it happened, because I had been clawing for points, 1 and 2 and 3 at a time, and 15 was just enormous. But in fact, my scores have gone way past where they were, I guess because my current score bucket has a higher ceiling, so to speak --more room for improvement.

A lot of times this probably happens in the background and no one is aware of it, because it happened between score pulls, and the scores had already recovered on their own. When you're actively monitoring your scores, though, it comes as quite a shock. I found out because of a Scorewatch alert that clearly stated what had happened, and since I had read a bit about it on the forums, I was able to figure it out.
* You moved from one category of credit users to another as time passed. For example, you may have transitioned from the category "consumers with a new credit history" to the category "consumers with a two- to five-year credit history". As a result, your credit report is evaluated differently, causing a slight change in your score. The good news is that moving between categories like this usually offers you the potential to reach a higher FICO® score in the future.
That "slight change" was going from 651 to 636.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@naf wrote:
Also, what did you mean when you said GW and PWD until my printer runs dry? Smiley Happy And why did you say you expect the pace of your improvement to slow down?
Thanks again ~

That list was just a general observation, trying to rank the actions that we consumers can take to improve our scores, in order of those which we can most easily and immediately control. "GW and PFD until the printer runs dry" means that if you have any negatives on your history, you can send letters begging that the paid-off ones be no longer reported (GW = goodwill) or offering payment in exchange for the negatives no longer being reported (PFD = pay for delete.) In most cases, it takes multiple attempts for these to be successful, so they take longer. And of course, waiting it out takes longest of all!
Message 6 of 12
naf
Valued Member

Oh gracious, I think I AM sorry I asked! Heehee Smiley Happy That all sounds very complicated and I'm impressed that you and everyone else on here understands the ins and outs of it all so well! I have Scorewatch also, and if I remember correctly, I have never had that explanation message, so hopefully I have not changed into a new score bucket. However, thank you for alerting me that this change is a possibility ~ it will keep me from getting TOO frustrated. I got frustrated enough when my score dropped four points recently because two previously dormant cards both showed new charges of roughly $50 each!

Thanks again everyone for your help in answering my many questions!
Message 7 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Naf, thanks for sharing your credit history.  You are approaching the upper tier of 760!   Beyond that is all simply just ego. You will continue to creep up a point or two each month simply for breathing the air around you, and not, ever, ever, being late.  So just put on your Donald Trump pajamas, and relax.You have no credit worries.  If 800 is your goal, then go for it, but you are already bumping top tier, so just read and enjoy the forum, and continue to share your actions with we remaining and struggling mineons!
Message 8 of 12
naf
Valued Member

Thank you so much for the nice, and extremely ENCOURAGING email! Smiley Happy Everyone likes to hear they are doing something right, especially when you have a history of NOT doing what is right with a credit score that reflects that.

The 750 score I mentioned earlier was the highest score of all three bureaus ~with the lowest being 739. From all of the replies I have received, I realize now, 750 is pretty good. However, I DO have a very poor history with late payments galore ~ Therefore, I am still very concerned those late payments will some back to haunt me when I shop for a new car and my credit history is pulled.

Could I be denied a loan or receive a higher interest rate due to those late payments, eventhough my score is now okay? I know I probably sound super-paranoid, but those late payments embarrass me and, as I said, I'm afraid they will come back to haunt me.

Thanks ~

Message 9 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

naf wrote:

But seriously, is four years about the average length of time it takes to raise your score significantly? Does anyone have any idea how much longer it might take to go from 748 to say, 800, provided I keep doing everything right?

I paid everything on time for nearly 5 years and my score was stuck (mid 600s).  I then decided to play the game a year ago, and my score has gone up to the high 700s.  Most of it was done in the first 4 months (about 100 points).  The rest has come over the last few months.  It will now get better as I applied for all the credit I wanted last year, and my new cards (4 and a half) and my loans (HELOC and car) have started the ageing process.  Come December everything will be over a year old (i.e., NO "new credit")
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.