Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX and Utilization

tag
MsFICOGamePlayer
Established Member

AMEX and Utilization

Question:
I'm hoping someone here can add some clarity to how AMEX reports and how the CRBs use balances, in particular, the Highest Balance(TU)/Largest Past Balance(EQ).

I believe I was simply misinformed by EQ, who stated this amount is the largest amount paid on any given day in the history of the account. According to AMEX, it's the largest statement balance within the prior 18 months. Didn't call TU. AMEX's explanation makes more sense so let's go with that.

Then...
1) why 18 months? If this amount is going to be used as a CL, seems to me it would show the highest bal period.
2) neither EQ or AMEX could direct me to any written explanation. Its gotta be somewhere. Anyone know where?

Comments:
I've read various takes on UT and AMEX here. Here's what I see in my reports...

TU: AMEX is included with Revolving accts (there is no Other section) and the bal IS included in my UT. CC UT: 5%. Terms: Not Reported (same as other cards) FICO: 788

EQ: Although there is an Other acct section, AMEX is reported as a Revolving acct and the bal IS also included in my UT. CC UT: 3%. Terms Frequency: blank (all others: Monthly) FICO: 801

EX: Doesn't state CC UT. Terms: 1 month (others: Not Reported) FICO: 794 -11/08

One other note on UT, I've read different things about high CLs. For the one card I have with a limit over 29k, TU does NOT include the 44k CL in my total cr avail (5%), EQ does (3%).

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: AMEX and Utilization

The problem is that most AMEX cards do not have a preset CL.

The issue is not how the CRAs deal with this in calculatiing % util, for Fair Isaac determines this in their FICO scoring algorithm, and not the CRAs.   

Fair Isaac has stated on numerous occasions that, in order to deal with this dichotomy, they use the highest reported balance on the card as the sudo-CL when calculating % util.

I would contact Fair Isaac for definitive answers, and not the CRAs.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.