Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized Users

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Authorized Users

My daughter is an AU on one of my cards and the object is NOT to help her credit score.  It is to allow her to have an emergency card if she ever has problems with traveling or anything, and to allow me to help her financially sometimes at a distance.

And she knows, and I know, that I see every penny she spends on it  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 21 of 53
marty56
Super Contributor

I am thinking about that Dire Straits song that goes FICO score for nothing and your chicks for free or something like that.

There was a post here about someone who had been depending on being an AU user on her mom's CC but she was going for a mortgage at the same time her mom needed to max out her CC.

I know AU is a touchy subject here with people on both side of issue.  With FICO 08 looming, it my be prudent to move way from it.  If FICO08 is still a while away, so much the better.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 22 of 53
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

marty56 wrote:

With FICO 08 looming, it my be prudent to move way from it.  If FICO08 is still a while away, so much the better.

I have been preparing for FICO 08 for nearly a year  Smiley Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 23 of 53
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I just wish that we could elect to NOT have AU cards report. I don't want to pull DH's scores, because I'll bet that they dropped just from having that AU AmEx Gold on it. I only added him for the original reason that they had AU status --so two people can use the same card and account for joint household expenses.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 53
Established Member

Hi smallfry.
I have my son on my Walmart discover and it shows the same as on mine, but thety only report to Experian on his. I also have Citi and they report on his also to all three CRA.
TransUnion
695Date: 5/11/2008
Equifax
670Date: 5/13/2008
Experian
672Date: 5/13/2008
Message 25 of 53
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:
Smallfry and Byrd, I hear you, and understand your reasons.
But let me put forth a scenario.......
One of the "buckets" in FICO is short credit history. That puts son/duaghter into the historical bucket that represents averages. Suddenly, they jump buckets by "achieving" a bigger and shinier bucket, leaving the old oaken bucket behind. If all Moms and Pops put their offspring on as an AU, it would virtually eliminate one of the 12 FICO buckets, making the whole system more of a joke than it already is.
FICO is based upon past history. To game that history is to skew everythiing for all of us, putting one into my bucket that has not earned the risk associated with it by demonstrating their status in fulfiliing that risk on their own, in the way that FICO has historically assesed their risk.
Give 'em your own hugs and kisses, but not at the expense of others who have paid for their own.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-19-2008 07:45 PM

I see both sides of the argument too. However, I still go back to my argument about parents giving gifts of $$ that weren't earned either. Person A (22 yrs old) graduates college and parents give him $50,000. Person B (22 yrs old) graduates college and parents were just lucky enough to have the $$ to send him to college. Person A is able to purchase a home within the year with money he didn't EARN. Person B will rent for some time, as he scrapes together his pennies to try to get a down payment. I think that this is a good analogy. What ever is the difference?

BTW Robert, not EVERYONE is going to do this ever in anyone's wildest imagination, so there is no way that bucket will ever be eliminated. In fact, the majority of people won't even do it, so that bucket is in no danger.

To the other poster whose son purchased a house on his own at 19--congratulations. Your son is in a very select class indeed. Because most 19 year olds don't qualify to purchase their own home. That's just not the reality for everyone.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 53
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I have resisted doing this for a year.
Message 27 of 53
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I won't resist at all with DD #1. She is extremely responsible. Now, the next two are a different story. Those boys are the most absent-minded individuals that I have ever seen. Part of that is a function of being 14 and 12, but I promise you, I have to remind them of EVERYTHING!

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys I think that most of us at one point in our lifetime has had some help from our parents, family members,maybe even friends. Example may have been a co-signer on first car, first apartment house  etc.... at the end of the day it is still some form of credit help which in turn involves your credit history and scores. IMHO if you accept the help and it is used in good faith I do not see anything wrong in that.Ideally after that first bit of help if the person is responsible he or she would be able to aquire and build their credit and scores on their own from that point. Just MHO.
Message 29 of 53
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys I think that most of us at one point in our lifetime has had some help from our parents, family members,maybe even friends. Example may have been a co-signer on first car, first apartment house  etc.... at the end of the day it is still some form of credit help which in turn involves your credit history and scores. IMHO if you accept the help and it is used in good faith I do not see anything wrong in that.Ideally after that first bit of help if the person is responsible he or she would be able to aquire and build their credit and scores on their own from that point. Just MHO.

Good point!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 30 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.