cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Cards w/ Pay Over Time feature and utilization ratios....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge Cards w/ Pay Over Time feature and utilization ratios....

Hello All, 

From what I've read, typical charge cards paid in full every month don't affect FICO utilization ratios. However what about an Amex Platinum with a carryover balance of $10,000 that falls under Pay Over Time and no real credit limit to speak of? How does this affect my utilization ratio? I've read some say that the ratio gets blown up because the Pay Over Time balance is a) Considered a payment that must be made in full at the end of the month and b) blows up the credit utilization ratio because there is no credit limit on the Amex Plat to offset the balance (the balance therefore goes against the credit limits of the other cards in one's portfolio).

And a follow up question to this:

Say I have $10,000 in my checking to pay on my credit/charge/charge w/ Pay Over Time cards at the end of the month.  Let's also say that I have a $10k balance on my Chase Sappire Reserve (CSR) and a $10k balance on my Amex Platinum that is amassed in the Pay Over Time bucket. Would it be best to simply pay the minimum on the Amex and place all the rest on the CSR? For the sake of argument, let's just say that both cards carry an equal interest rate.

Many thanks in advance!

Edzo

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge Cards w/ Pay Over Time feature and utilization ratios....

I see this post has been viewed 74 times without any response. I'm left to wonder if this is a very difficult question that no one is able to answer or if it is a very stupid question that has already been answered a number of times.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  In simplest terms, how does a Pay Over Time balance on a charge card get factored in on my Utilization Ratio.  Thank you, Edzo

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.