cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditors Can Only Use The Ultra FICO, IF You Give Them Permission, Right?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditors Can Only Use The Ultra FICO, IF You Give Them Permission, Right?

I'm very concern about the new Ultra FICO score.

Is it already in effect?

Creditors, still can't use the Ultra FICO score method without your permission, right?

There are conflicting YouTube videos, blogs, websites and more, as no one is 100% certain.

The reason I'm asking is because two nights ago, this was MyFico scores(Experian 571, Equifax 521, TransUnion 543), then on Saturday afternoon, my credit scores jumped to a FICO score of (Equifax 602, TransUnion 606 and Experian stayed the same at 571).

HOWEVER, nothing on either of my three credit bureau reports show any changes, it literally just increased around 6pm last night, it just went up to those new FICO scores.

Plus, I respect Experian more than Equifax and TransUnion, but for some reason Experian remains the FICO score I had when I woke up this morning.

I'm concerned it's a mistake that once discovered will be reversed.

Should I be worried?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

Re: Creditors can Only Use The Ultra FICO IF You Give Them Permission, Right?

I can't really offer much to the OP, having never heard of it before, but it does sound limited and voluntary for now:

Your UltraFICO™ Score lets you show lenders indicators of responsible financial behavior, not visible on a traditional credit report, including:

Evidence of savings and keeping a healthy average balance

Maintaining a bank account over time

Avoiding having a negative balance

Regularly paying bills and making other bank transactions

The UltraFICO™ Score will initially be available through a small group of lenders as part of a limited pilot phase for consumers who cannot currently access credit or, in certain cases, could be eligible for better terms. This initial pilot phase is designed for fine-tuning of the deployment of the score. As we complete the pilot phase, the UltraFICO™ Score will be more broadly available.

If you are interested in getting your UltraFICO™ Score when it becomes available please complete the form to receive news and updates.

https://www.fico.com/ultrafico/

That's an interesting twist.  Though, with the increased interconnectivity and digitization of records, I suppose it was inevitable.

Message 2 of 10
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

My understanding is that for someone to use FicoUltra, then you must give the CRAs access to your bank account so they can see you average daily balance which it sounds like you have  not done.

That type of jump and considering it cam around the first of the month leads me to believe you had some baddie get excluded or perhaps a combination of aging factors and inquiries becoming excluded.

you may not see it yet as not all the report factors always show up immediately on you reports. MyFico will only update the account information when your 3b updates. One way to see now is to log into one of the dispute sites and look for changes. You can do this without actually submitting a dispute.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 3 of 10
jamie123
Valued Contributor

The UltraFICO score is meant to be used for people that have a very limited or non-existent credit history. Ya know, say somebody that has only used a debit card and cash for the past ten years. They will have a terrible credit score but they may actually be very fiscally sound individuals with money in the bank and other investments.

I theory, you could have a million dollars in the bank, millions of dollars in investments but because you haven't used any credit in the past 7 years your FICO score would be terrible or non-existent.

You could also be an ordinary Joe and have only used your debit card and cash for the past 7 years. You pay all your bills on time, never overdraw your bank account and pay cash for your vehicles from your savings account. Without access to your bank records, FICO or anybody else for that matter, don't know that you are a good credit risk.

This is FICO's new product to try and help lenders know that there are people in those situations and to help people in those situations get credit.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 4 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes it appears you would have to give your permission for them to access bank account and utilitiy companies before they could use this scoring system.

I for one will never allow them to have access to my bank account info period!!!
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, if they want utility payment history or cell phone payment history or even rental history, I'm all for it, but I will never allow them to look into my checking account, not now, not ever.

Message 6 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree, if they want utility payment history or cell phone payment history or even rental history, I'm all for it, but I will never allow them to look into my checking account, not now, not ever.

No mortgage for you then?

You have to provide statements just sayin' Smiley Happy

This is a non-sequitor conversation anyway, they're not going to use an alternative score if a traditional one will do... which should be sufficient for basically all of us on this forum.

        
Message 7 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

To be realistic about it, however, OP reached 570. That implies some set of late payments. Late payments are a violation of the contract agreement one has with each lender.

Is a lender supposed to trust someone who has shown they might be late ( or very late, or stiff the lender) ? How about in a case of identity theft? How does the lender know to trust anyone? In rebuilding, showing good cash management skills, such as no bounced checks, is another way to get a view to reliability.

From some comments by others, the Ultra FICO steps may be as simple as a conference call between the creditor, applicant, and the bank with the applicant checking account, just to verbally verify basic info about the checking account, not necessarily sending in bank statements.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:
To be realistic about it, however, OP reached 570. That implies some set of late payments. Late payments are a violation of the contract agreement one has with each lender.

Is a lender supposed to trust someone who has shown they might be late ( or very late, or stiff the lender) ? How about in a case of identity theft? How does the lender know to trust anyone? In rebuilding, showing good cash management skills, such as no bounced checks, is another way to get a view to reliability.

From some comments by others, the Ultra FICO steps may be as simple as a conference call between the creditor, applicant, and the bank with the applicant checking account, just to verbally verify basic info about the checking account, not necessarily sending in bank statements.

It won't be verbal but it may be access to some summary information (like daily balance for the past 3 months) which is enough to napkin math out which way things are going.

I'm not an application architect but it'll probably be a limited time use token like we see elsewhere these days, actually that struck me recently when talking about a project for the customer I work with where we're trying to speed up resolution of cases by getting our support arm access to the data more easily with some consolidated logging solution and that has all the same issues in terms of privacy and longer term access... though to be fair it's not the same as personal financial data, but on the flipside if I never have to give them my true login credentials and they don't have full any-time access, getting my checking account transactions isn't that big of a deal: hell they've already established my identity anyway and if I didn't trust them with some personal data I wouldn't ever even apply for an account with them anyway.

Think people see the access to a checking account and the initial reaction was *gasp* but ultimately I'm not seeing the sensititivy issue: if you want a mortgage you have to provide checking and any account you are using for reserves or downpayment statements, and actually you usually have to do that on other non-traditional approvals too.

This really isn't any different, if you want a loan or credit card, and you don't have a credit history to base it on, show that you can repay it.

        
Message 9 of 10
iv
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I'm not an application architect but it'll probably be a limited time use token like we see elsewhere these days, actually that struck me recently when talking about a project for the customer I work with where we're trying to speed up resolution of cases by getting our support arm access to the data more easily with some consolidated logging solution and that has all the same issues in terms of privacy and longer term access... though to be fair it's not the same as personal financial data, but on the flipside if I never have to give them my true login credentials and they don't have full any-time access, getting my checking account transactions isn't that big of a deal: hell they've already established my identity anyway and if I didn't trust them with some personal data I wouldn't ever even apply for an account with them anyway.

More likely to be a setup like Yodlee - access tokens where supported, but with fallback to live username/password and screenscraping otherwise.  And frequently, even the tokens are generated by supplying UN/PW directly to the 3rd party once at setup...

I wish there was a standard method for token creation and ACL setting for banking, OAUTH-style... but it's all a maze of in-house "standards" and that terrible screenscraping fallback.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.