Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down 5 pts due to $9 increase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Down 5 pts due to $9 increase

I just can't stand how my scores jump so much! My balance increased by $9 and my Equifax score dropped 5 points. But when I pay half or more of the balance, there is no change. So frustrating. I'm thinking of getting rid of this service because it drives me crazy always seeing all the drops for measly increases and no jumps for positives. Does this happen to anyone else? 😞
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Down 5 pts due to $9 increase

@Anonymous wrote:
I just can't stand how my scores jump so much! My balance increased by $9 and my Equifax score dropped 5 points. But when I pay half or more of the balance, there is no change. So frustrating. I'm thinking of getting rid of this service because it drives me crazy always seeing all the drops for measly increases and no jumps for positives. Does this happen to anyone else? 😞

No one likes to see their scores go down for any reason but you have to try not to fixate on the ups and downs or it will drive you crazy.  You just have to know that if you do the things necessary to have a good score overtime they will rise.  These alerts make us focus on very short term changes when in fact achieving a credit score that can withstand occasional changes can take years to achieve.  Unless you have a reason to constantly monitor the scores maybe the monitoring isn't necessary but occasionally pull a 3 bureau report.  

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax seems to be more sensitive to balance changes than the other two. The balance on one of my cards reported dropped a few dollars today, and the score went up 4 points.

Message 3 of 10
EW800
Valued Contributor

I agree, can't let it drive you crazy. I just shake my head at how the FICO God's work at times. A few months ago I accidently let $3 report on a card, which meant I had two cards reporting a balance instead of one. I temporarily lost a couple of points. I just had to laugh, thinking that FICO really things I am a higher risk because of the $3 reporting. Smiley Happy

I was going to make a joke about it having to do with which way the wind is blowing, however that is probably not far off!  Smiley Happy 

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 4 of 10
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Same here.

Tell me how I can pay down $20k in debt and scores go up approx 30 pts across the board but then today, I had a balance increase by $44 and I dropped 5 pts on EQ and 3 on TU. 

I was away from watching my scores for about 4-6 months at the end of the year, and it was a very calm and peaceful time....now I'm watching this daily, hourly, and it is driving me nutz too. lol

Message 5 of 10
HiLine
Blogger

Oh yeah. I stopped caring about the individual movements as soon as I saw this:

MyFICO Score Watch alert 54 points.png

That's right. A 54 point decrease with a $136 balance increase.

Message 6 of 10
racer-x
Valued Contributor

OMG HILINE????!!!!%$32^#&$*#8&@^  ....

Freaking incredible.  That seriously makes me sick. 

It's that da mn scoring model US Bank uses or something.  They had me at a 619 for crying out when everywhere else was pushing 700's

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I play with the simulator balance change has a much larger impact with EQ than the other two.

Message 8 of 10
HiLine
Blogger

@racer-x wrote:

OMG HILINE????!!!!%$32^#&$*#8&@^  ....

Freaking incredible.  That seriously makes me sick. 

It's that da mn scoring model US Bank uses or something.  They had me at a 619 for crying out when everywhere else was pushing 700's

That's a screenshot from Score Watch, a MyFICO monitoring service that uses FICO 08 scores.

Message 9 of 10
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Hi Line - It's a conspiracy..  US Bank sent that score to myfico.  I'm sure of it. lol

They sent me a score of 619 and then a week later a 686 but nothing had really changed in that amount of time.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.