cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item that was deleted in August reported under another company name?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Item that was deleted in August reported under another company name?

Ok I am so frustrated! I recently noticed an old collection for an ambulance bill that was on my report under Company A. That item fell off my report in August. Now it has returned to my report as a new debt under a different company name. Is this legal? It seems to be wrong on so many levels and it is the only derogatory item on my credit report. What do I do?

any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Item that was deleted in August reported under another company name?

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok I am so frustrated! I recently noticed an old collection for an ambulance bill that was on my report under Company A. That item fell off my report in August. Now it has returned to my report as a new debt under a different company name. Is this legal? It seems to be wrong on so many levels and it is the only derogatory item on my credit report. What do I do?

Do you know why it fell off?  If it is past the FCRA guidelines it should've stayed off; otherwise debts are transferred from JDB A to JDB B to JDB C sometimes, and this behavior can be seen.

I would handle it like any other collection unless it was removed because it was outside the CRTP (credit reporting time period, that is a no no by a collection agency to tack that back on if so), and get it airstruck based on that.

        
Message 2 of 4
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

If it fell off accidentaly then it's legal for it to reappear if some CA bought it.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 3 of 4
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's legal to sell or reassign debt.  And as long as it's within the reporting period based on the DOFD, it's legal for the new company to report. 

Did you get a letter from the new CA?  They are supposed to send you one.

Do you remember what year you rode the ambulance?

What is the DOFD coded on the report?

Either way, your next step is a DV letter, but the date and what their letter says determines the contents of your DV letter.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.