cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New myFICO Report Format: Util Factor Q (Barry?)

tag
hdporter
Regular Contributor

New myFICO Report Format: Util Factor Q (Barry?)

A new format for myFICO reports is now appearing (for both new orders and reports on file for the last 30 days).

One interesting aspect is that the former format's discussion of credit utilization ratios gave the impression that both overall utilization (total revolv bal / total revolv CL) AND utilization on individual accounts (with util over 50% typically cited by others as an adverse indicator) weighed into the FICO Score calc.

Under the new report, there are at least two indications that usage on individual accounts is not a significant scoring factor and that it's overall utilization that drives this component of the FICO Score.

Is this new impression accurate? Let's say I have 3 accounts each with $10K limits and each with $3K outstanding balance. (30% overall util; 30% on each indiv a/c) If I had a very low rate on one of the accounts and an opportunity to consolidate the accounts at low cost, would aggregating the $9K outstanding onto one of the $10K accounts (leaving the other two accounts open) have no significant impact on my score??

This is a key question because at present, given an impression that it benefits your FICO scoring to an extent to maintain bal:CL ratios of under 50%, I've tended to distributed my balances over several accounts. However, just from the sake of account management, I'd prefer to hold balances in few accounts -- taking some accounts to as high as 90% utilization.

Any insight is appreciated. I will note that when I consolidated account balances in this fashion about 3 years ago, I saw a significant decline in my score that reversed when I split the balances afterwards. (There were no other material changes in my debts/accounts other than this.)

Many thanks.

- Harry

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New myFICO Report Format: Util Factor Q (Barry?)

HD which report are you using?  Just the generic FICO score and report from this site?  When did you notice this change?  Just curious if I needed to pull another report.
Message 2 of 14
hdporter
Regular Contributor

FICO Standard product. I believe the new report format was implemented for the first time today. If you've pulled your report within the last 30 days, reviewing the report on file will bring up the new format.

Message 3 of 14
hdporter
Regular Contributor

Well, I'm disappointed not to receive an answer of some type re utilization factoring in FICO. I understand that it's undesirable to be too specific about what's evaluated. However, where general guidelines are provided it's only reasonable that they should be clear.

In the past FICO has done a good job of helping people understand what impacts their FICO score and what isn't relevant. That helps make the product something people have reasonable faith in as accurately reflecting their credit profile.

What I want to grasp is whether the current representation of utilization is accurate -- that, basically, having a card at 90% utilization won't hurt you when your overall utilization is at 10 percent. This is at odds of prior representation that suggested having a card near-maxed out would hurt you.

- Harry

Message 4 of 14
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

hdporter wrote:
Well, I'm disappointed not to receive an answer of some type re utilization factoring in FICO. I understand that it's undesirable to be too specific about what's evaluated. However, where general guidelines are provided it's only reasonable that they should be clear.

In the past FICO has done a good job of helping people understand what impacts their FICO score and what isn't relevant. That helps make the product something people have reasonable faith in as accurately reflecting their credit profile.

What I want to grasp is whether the current representation of utilization is accurate -- that, basically, having a card at 90% utilization won't hurt you when your overall utilization is at 10 percent. This is at odds of prior representation that suggested having a card near-maxed out would hurt you.

- Harry

Scoring takes into account individual card and overall utilization. So yes, having one card at 90% will still cost you points eventhough your overall util might be low.
Message 5 of 14
hdporter
Regular Contributor

Tuscani wrote:

Scoring takes into account individual card and overall utilization. So yes, having one card at 90% will still cost you points even though your overall util might be low.

Tuscani, that's what has generally been discussed in the past concerning utilization. However, as I stated, FICO is providing different guidance on this in the new scoring report format that has just been released. It specifically indicates that only aggregate utilization is factored; utilization within individual accounts isn't:

==================

"Your FICO score evaluates your total revolving credit balances in relation to your total credit limits on those accounts. In your case, this ratio of balances to credit limits is too high."

"Keep this in mind: This credit usage ratio is one of the most important factors to your FICO score, so you should work on paying down your balances. Your FICO score looks at the ratio of revolving debt, but not in which accounts the debt resides. Therefore, consolidating or moving your debt from one account to another will usually not help your FICO score since the same total amount is owed."

==================

This runs contrary to past indications. It also runs contrary to one experience I had where I consolidated three accounts with moderate balances into a single account and immediately saw a sharp hit to my FICO score.

This new statement bears clarification. I think the only reliable source will be from FICO themselves for anything you, I or any other layman might put out is sheer speculation.

- Harry

Message 6 of 14
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

hdporter wrote:
Tuscani wrote:

Scoring takes into account individual card and overall utilization. So yes, having one card at 90% will still cost you points even though your overall util might be low.

Tuscani, that's what has generally been discussed in the past concerning utilization. However, as I stated, FICO is providing different guidance on this in the new scoring report format that has just been released. It specifically indicates that only aggregate utilization is factored; utilization within individual accounts isn't:

==================

"Your FICO score evaluates your total revolving credit balances in relation to your total credit limits on those accounts. In your case, this ratio of balances to credit limits is too high."

"Keep this in mind: This credit usage ratio is one of the most important factors to your FICO score, so you should work on paying down your balances. Your FICO score looks at the ratio of revolving debt, but not in which accounts the debt resides. Therefore, consolidating or moving your debt from one account to another will usually not help your FICO score since the same total amount is owed."

==================

This runs contrary to past indications. It also runs contrary to one experience I had where I consolidated three accounts with moderate balances into a single account and immediately saw a sharp hit to my FICO score.

This new statement bears clarification. I think the only reliable source will be from FICO themselves for anything you, I or any other layman might put out is sheer speculation.

- Harry

Interesting. I had no seen that. I am hoping Barry will chime in.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

hdporter wrote:

It doesn't matter whether people (individuals like us) have faith in the product.  We're not the customers even though we have to pay to buy it.  The lenders are the real customers and FICO aims to please them, not us.
Message 8 of 14
hdporter
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@hdporter wrote:

It doesn't matter whether people (individuals like us) have faith in the product. We're not the customers even though we have to pay to buy it. The lenders are the real customers and FICO aims to please them, not us.

I'll suggest that at the point that a consumer purchases a scoring report they become the "customer". And it behooves FICO to ensure that the consumer understands what they're looking at. In general FICO has done a very strong job of this.

However, because of the discrepancy between what has generally been understood to be components of the utilization scoring factor and what is now being put out, some clarification is warranted.

- Harry

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with you in theory that we should be considered customers.  But FICO only recently started providing credit scores to individuals; it was all a big secret until they were forced by political pressure to reveal them.

I believe that consumer action groups are working on legislation that would force FICO to provide scores free once a year, just like the credit reports. FICO,  of course, wouldn't be too happy about losing the income stream and facing a barrage of requests for scores.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.