Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same event different result

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same event different result

Got alerts,today for,recent pay,met showing.  Paying down my credit cards.  Experian gained 4 points and equifax lost 6. How does that make any sense?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Same event different result

Have had that happen personally and never got around to trying to figure out what it was or why.  I don't have any real educated guess on that, maybe someone will.  Could be variance in the reporting between EQ and EX on the monitoring solution, EX rolled up some prior change that had hit EQ already in a prior alert.

        
Message 2 of 4
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

It's happened to me on a number of occasions.  Too many to just be coincidence, or some unknown trigger that just happened to hit one CB at the same time as something else hit another one.  I personally think it's not true that all 3 CB's use the same formula.  In other words, the scores we get here are Fico 08's, and supposedly all 3 bureaus compute that score in the same way, using the information they have in your particular file. 

But I don't think that's true, because:

My files are exactly the same on all of them, which would seem to mean my scores would all be the same, but they're not.  And I have seen without a doubt more than a few times that often 2 of the credit scores will have the opposite reaction to the same event.  I've seen it with opening a new account, an increased balance, a decreased balance...

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

EQ 823 ~ TU 817 ~ EXP 808 | ITG since 8/24/2016
Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@LuckyBird wrote:

It's happened to me on a number of occasions.  Too many to just be coincidence, or some unknown trigger that just happened to hit one CB at the same time as something else hit another one.  I personally think it's not true that all 3 CB's use the same formula.  In other words, the scores we get here are Fico 08's, and supposedly all 3 bureaus compute that score in the same way, using the information they have in your particular file. 

But I don't think that's true, because:

My files are exactly the same on all of them, which would seem to mean my scores would all be the same, but they're not.  And I have seen without a doubt more than a few times that often 2 of the credit scores will have the opposite reaction to the same event.  I've seen it with opening a new account, an increased balance, a decreased balance...

They absolutely don't.  Stated by FICO even on this one heh... both consumers and lenders complain on this count.

That said the underlying algorithm should be similar, and what produces as postive change in one is usually expected to produce a positive change in the another.  It's sort of the premise in my "build a pretty credit file and you'll get a pretty credit score regardless of what version is used" and the monitoring solution is also absolutely different between the 3 bureaus which makes this sort of hard to pin down.

Think it's constant enough even with my absurdly flatline scores that might be able to figure it out, maybe, but the monitoring solutions really aren't granular enough (or even close) to pick up every change on the credit report which results in a positive or negative score.  Taking EX for example, I paid a balance down on an installment loan, got an increase on every single Experian model, and the monitoring solution didn't report a darned thing other than the email of "All clear this week!" 

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.