charisma2

Score decrease after payoff

I recently paid off my automobile, just two months earlier than determined.  This caused my score to decrease by points, nothing major, but not good since I was hoping that less debt was best.  This was not the case.  As I pay off debt, I am not seeing the increase I thought I should.  Of my cc debt, I am only using 21% of what is available from open accounts.  My oldest account is 27 y/o, 1-2 delinquencies from 2002.

Is this just a short term response, or could the effect be longer?  How can I increase this score?
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Re: Score decrease after payoff

Auto loans have little effect in terms of util. Getting that 21% under 10% will help you the most. Can we get more info on your delinqs?
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

charisma2 wrote:
I recently paid off my automobile, just two months earlier than determined. This caused my score to decrease by points, nothing major, but not good since I was hoping that less debt was best. This was not the case. As I pay off debt, I am not seeing the increase I thought I should. Of my cc debt, I am only using 21% of what is available from open accounts. My oldest account is 27 y/o, 1-2 delinquencies from 2002.
Is this just a short term response, or could the effect be longer? How can I increase this score?

Probably a short term loss. Get your UTL under 10%!!!!
charisma2

Both delinquencies were only 30 days, never more.  I say 1-2, as delq are listed differently on the two reports I have, EQ and TU.  One was a small retail acct that had been reactivated.  Since was not a normal acct for me, I missed the first payment.  Once I realized it, I paid the acct off in 3 months.  I cannot remember the specifics of the other acct, but the report indicates the I was delq in Jan '05, but the date of the last paymt was 10/04.  This has to be disputable, yes??? 
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

charisma2 wrote:
Both delinquencies were only 30 days, never more.  I say 1-2, as delq are listed differently on the two reports I have, EQ and TU.  One was a small retail acct that had been reactivated.  Since was not a normal acct for me, I missed the first payment.  Once I realized it, I paid the acct off in 3 months.  I cannot remember the specifics of the other acct, but the report indicates the I was delq in Jan '05, but the date of the last paymt was 10/04.  This has to be disputable, yes??? 

YES!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}