cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how does a credit pull increase a score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how does a credit pull increase a score?

We applied for a car loan last week and the one bank they tried just got reported and the score has jumped 23 points.  the alert said it was the only thing that happened the day the score jumped.   We have paid off a credit card but that hasnt been reported yet.  just wondering how this happens...this isnt the first time either.  i thought adding inquires takes away from your score.  it is now a 669.  she has 14 pulls now....it should have droped

just wondering if anybody can help answer?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: how does a credit pull increase a score?

Is this a FICO score or a score at another web site?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only use myfico.com score watch to monitor...so a true fico...i mean that is great it did...but not sure why...like i said before it isnt the first time it jumped and the only thing reported was credit pulls when car shoppijng (was told i could do it and they came back and said i  needed 4000 to do it...yeah...sure..ok!) now i am stuck with all these credit pulls....have to have them removed again...can you do it yourself fairly easily? i dont like paying to do that.

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Take SW alerts w/ a grain of salt. The inquiries didn't increase your score, but rather something happened to your CRs that had boost your score that SW didn't announce. It could be utilization dropped, a baddie dropped, accounts aged, or something else.

Also, if these 14 were for a car, you only have one inquiry counting against you. The inquiries count as one if pulled w/in a 14-30 day period depending on the CRA and model used.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.