Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replying to posts

tag
DD60
Valued Member

Replying to posts

I have tried to reply to several posts, but my posts never appear as such.  They always appear at the end of queue for the forum, and my references to the original post make no sense to the readers (I found this out when I read the last response ot one of my "replies."  I assumed that by clicking on the reply button beneath the post I wanted to reply to my response would appear below the original.  When others reply to my posts, I see "DD60 said ...." with my post quoted before their comments.  What am I doing wrong that this does not happen when I post a reply?

Starting Score: 777
Current Score: 854
Goal Score: 900

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Replying to posts

@DD60 wrote:

I have tried to reply to several posts, but my posts never appear as such.  They always appear at the end of queue for the forum, and my references to the original post make no sense to the readers (I found this out when I read the last response ot one of my "replies."  I assumed that by clicking on the reply button beneath the post I wanted to reply to my response would appear below the original.  When others reply to my posts, I see "DD60 said ...." with my post quoted before their comments.  What am I doing wrong that this does not happen when I post a reply?

Hi DD60, I split your post and formed a new thread here. I had to edit the subject line. If you'd like to change it to something else, feel free to click "Options" and then "Edit Message" to make that change.

If I am following you correctly, and hopefully this answers it, whenever you start a new thread, as I split and started on here for you, any response will appear below the original post in chronological order. So, assuming nobody posted before I finished typing this message, my post would be the second message of 2 total (yours and mine). As others post, then those get posted in order by date and time of post. And whenever you reply, and if you wanted to quote, then you click reply within the specific post you click and your reply goes in chronological order to the bottom of the thread. Now maybe there's settings that changes how you see it. If you click "My Settings" atop then you can tinker with the settings to get it to appear differently.

Message 2 of 4
mod-moose
Administrator Emeritus

@DD60 wrote:

Hi DD60,

If you want to see which post you replied to, you will need to go into "My Settings"  and in your "Preferences"  and switch to "Topic Layout" instead of "Linear Layout".  Many users read "Linear" so the best thing to do is quote who you are replying to and then there is no doubt who you were responding too.

Here is an example of what the "Topic Layout" looks like in a topic you recently replied to:

228iDF06A9C77440060C

mod.moose
Message 3 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

+1

Use the "quote" button on the post that you're replying to. It will appear with lines above and below, and be slighted indented. When you reply, check to see that your reply isn't indented. For some reason, some people's replies stay indented.

If you hit "quote" before starting your reply, it will appear above your post. If you hit "quote" afterwards, it will be below.

I greatly prefer the linear layout that is the default here, instead of the endless indents of the topic layout, but I agree that it's confusing when you're used to the topic version.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.