Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan Approval with Open Tax Lien - SUCCESS w/ Chase

tag
Shann0n_marie
Frequent Contributor

Auto Loan Approval with Open Tax Lien - SUCCESS w/ Chase

I have pre-approved with Cap 1 at 6.95% - 10.95% depending on the car, loan term, loam amt etc.  I have an open $32k IRS tax lien on my credit from 6 years ago.  I am making payments on it.

Who is tax lien friendly?  I have a perfect payment history with all creditors for past 26 mos or so, all CO's and collections have been paid, etc.  Only 10% revolving balance -- high income, low DTI but I am wondering if I have any chances with the Special Financing offers with like NIssan or other car makers?

I screwed myself 3+ years ago buying a car that I had a 25% interest rate on because I couldn't get anything else and needed a car... that car is paid off now and my credit has improved SIGNIFICANTLY and 100+ points since that fiasco.... I want to make sure I'm not just assuming I can't get better than Cap1.  I have 3 paid car loans on my credit with perfect payment history.

Thanks for your help in advance! 

2/8/19 - CH 7 BK filed
5/15/19 -Discharged
Scores at Discharge: 550 EQ 471 TU 509 EXP (Last Updated 5/11)
5/16/19 - Rebuild Started - App'ed for Credit One - Approved for $2,000 starting line! (Increased to $2200 the following month)
6/7/19 - 606 EQ 544 TU 566 EXP - New CC reported w/ $75 Balance
12/10/19 - 616 EQ 581 TU 592 EXP

8/28/2021 - 698 EQ 670 TU 674EXP
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fury1995
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto Loan Approval with Open Tax Lien on Reports?

@Shann0n_marie wrote:

I have pre-approved with Cap 1 at 6.95% - 10.95% depending on the car, loan term, loam amt etc.  I have an open $32k IRS tax lien on my credit from 6 years ago.  I am making payments on it.

Who is tax lien friendly?  I have a perfect payment history with all creditors for past 26 mos or so, all CO's and collections have been paid, etc.  Only 10% revolving balance -- high income, low DTI but I am wondering if I have any chances with the Special Financing offers with like NIssan or other car makers?

I screwed myself 3+ years ago buying a car that I had a 25% interest rate on because I couldn't get anything else and needed a car... that car is paid off now and my credit has improved SIGNIFICANTLY and 100+ points since that fiasco.... I want to make sure I'm not just assuming I can't get better than Cap1.  I have 3 paid car loans on my credit with perfect payment history.

Thanks for your help in advance! 

Some captive finance lenders may overlook the open tax lien.

You already have the Cap One approval.

Just use that to shop.. go find a car you want based on your current approval.

When you do apply via the dealer. Don't reveal your rate. Just tell them to give you their best.

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 2 of 6
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Spit-balling here. I don't know your income situation but have you looked into the "is it possible" realm of an Offer In Compromise with the IRS ? I had a lien because I was an early victim of Refund Fraud and they treated me like the criminal rather than the victim. After a few years of getting nowhere, the OIC helped in my income situation because I became disabled during the battle.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 3 of 6
NLYTN
Valued Member

I have two liens and I was approved for 39.3k through cap 1 (did not use). I applied through Light mStream (Suntrust) and was denied. Went to the dealership and received an approval from Suntrust on 45k. Income was around 54k. Auto scores ranged from 720-742. Hope this helps. Good luck... I will be rooting for you !!!
Message 4 of 6
Shann0n_marie
Frequent Contributor

Ok so I was approved with Cap 1 for an interest rate from 6.95% - 10.95  but after applying for multiple CU's and getting denied - I found the car I wanted and applied for Mazda Financing and was approved at a 3.75% interest rate, with Tier 5 credit - they pulled EX Auto 2 scores and I have a 648.  I was financed for about $31k, $116k/yr income, 20% DTI and they didn't ask for proof of income docs.

And, now we know that Chase is ok with open tax liens.  Smiley Happy  And I loveeeeee my new baby. Heart  Thanks everyone!

2/8/19 - CH 7 BK filed
5/15/19 -Discharged
Scores at Discharge: 550 EQ 471 TU 509 EXP (Last Updated 5/11)
5/16/19 - Rebuild Started - App'ed for Credit One - Approved for $2,000 starting line! (Increased to $2200 the following month)
6/7/19 - 606 EQ 544 TU 566 EXP - New CC reported w/ $75 Balance
12/10/19 - 616 EQ 581 TU 592 EXP

8/28/2021 - 698 EQ 670 TU 674EXP
Message 5 of 6
Gonzozap
Frequent Contributor

And if anyone wants a decent credit card with an open tax lien, try Discover.  They approved me with a 6 figure Fed lien - $3K.  Denied me for the 0% transfer card, but approved me for the regular card.  The letter was amusing.  It listed all these reasons why I was denied for the card I wanted, but then said, "Oh, but you can still have this one."  I don't get the logic, but hey, I'll take it.

I will soon be working to get the lien removed.  The SOL is about to expire. Praying.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.