Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan with Dealer mark-up

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto Loan with Dealer mark-up

The CFPB has been stripped of its power to stop dealer mark-up on the intertest of an auto loan.  The dealer can actually mark-up the interest and take the extra money for the dealership!  CFPB was preventing it but now a new law has blocked the CFPB.  

Please read your auto loan contract BEFORE you sign.  Ask what is the lender's rate and if the dealership is increasing the rate.  Speak to the lender directly and ask what is the rate.  DO NOT BLINDLY SIGN ANY LOAN CONTRACT!!!  Make sure what is told to you is what you are signing.

If you have a low credit score and paying a higher interest rate YOU MUST BE EXTRA CAREFUL AND READ!!! Don't let your need/desire for a car make you a target. Find a way to get along without the car if they are charging extra just to increase the dealer's profits.

Please read this:   http://thehill.com/policy/finance/388636-trump-signs-repeal-of-auto-loan-policy-targeting-racial-bia...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto Loan with Dealer mark-up

This is a standard practice at every dealer I've ever worked at. Didn't even know there was something trying to stop it as I've seen it done consistently for over a decade.

In fact, even after you sign your contract, the finance manager will shop you to other banks to try and find an even lower buy rate. The manufacturers usually limit the ammount it can be marked up when dealing with captive lenders (Usually capped at somewhere between 1-2% markup). The practice is the same for leases also although this is even harder to identify as the money factors are usually not displayed on lease contracts. 

If a manufacturuer has an advertised rate, this is usually the captive lender's buy rate. If the sales managers won't give you that rate, just go through a credit union on your own. Otherwise, I usually see it as cost of getting you approved.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your very last sentence, “I see this as a cost of getting approval”, is exactly why I would not want to buy from you. I must pay extra cause you found someone to charge me interest!! You didnt find me someone to loan me money interest free. You found someone to charge me and must pay you extra? I rather get by with what have until qualified for zero or low interest. Predatory lending takes advantage of people when they are most desperate.
Message 3 of 8
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I straddle the fence on this issue.  As a former F&I guy for many years at a Chevy/Buick/GMC/(and then) Pontiac store, I can tell you that working a deal isn't as simple (or easy) as those outside of the business thinks it is.   Now, with that being said I'm not advocating for completely taking advantage of a customer (everyone has their own moral compass) but sometimes, the amount of work it takes to get a deal hung with a lender, especially if a customer is hellbent on getting a certain vehicle, has to count for something.  

F&I isn't as simple as stroking a keyboard and clicking a mouse, especially in the subprime segment that I was playing in.  It's a lot of work, late nights, and not always are people truthful in the info they provide so the job comes with its own form of investigative work that takes a heck of a lot of time.    

Keep in mind that we're trying to please a lot of folks...first and foremost the customer, the dealership/owner has set guidelines and targets that is expected of you as the F&I guy, the sales manager (new or pre-owned) has their own limits and limitations, the bank calls the shot on LTV, you have to make sure your look to book ratio is in order or your lender representatives will cry to you.  You're a compliance officer.  You have to make sure every "i" is dotted and "t" is crossed as the documents you handle and legal and binding.  This is especially important as you can bet your last dollar that at some point someone is going to cry to the attorney general about being mistreated in some way or claim your place is a site for predatory lending which can (and often does with enough complaints) lead to an audit.   And after all is said and done, you still have your own paycheck to make - after all everyone goes to work to make a living.  

I said all of that to say this...it's not as simple as you think.  Not everyone who says they've been taken advantage of is truthful.  Buyers remorse doesn't equal predatory lending; in my experience that's usually where the term predatory lending starts - one has gone home or spoken to someone, or done their Internet homework AFTER the deal, and no longer wants to accept what they've already agreed to.  

Are there bad F&I guys out there?...absolutely.  Are people taken advantage of?...sure enough.  Will it ever stop?...Nope.  What can one do?  The best advice I can give you is to do your due diligence before ever stepping foot into a dealership.  Good, bad, or no credit...you still have to do your part to educate yourself.  There are a number of Internet resources that can educate you in just about every way on how to buy a car and what to look out for.  If one fails to do even the slightest amount research then in my opinion, they've kind of played into their own demise once they walk through the doors. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW, finding someone to pay someone else for service and you the finder get a cut of the pay, is called PIMPING.  People on the streets go to prison for doing it but people in those little glass cubicles at dealerships get bonus checks!!!  LOL

Message 5 of 8
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I'll ask this...please, let's stick to the topic of the thread. The solicitation of people (regardless of age, gender, etc) is wrong and the mere mentioning of such has no place here on the forums.  We can continue to "chew the fat" on the subject in a respectful way.  I enjoy and encourage the dialog...it's usually how we educate ourselves or at the very least gain perspective from another's view.

If we can all agree to stick to the aforementioned topic then the thread continues...if not I'll request that it be closed and locked.

Thanks for your understanding.  

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

I'll ask this...please, let's stick to the topic of the thread. The solicitation of people (regardless of age, gender, etc) is wrong and the mere mentioning of such has no place here on the forums.  We can continue to "chew the fat" on the subject in a respectful way.  I enjoy and encourage the dialog...it's usually how we educate ourselves or at the very least gain perspective from another's view.

If we can all agree to stick to the aforementioned topic then the thread continues...if not I'll request that it be closed and locked.

Thanks for your understanding.  

OOOPS!!!! Very sorry.  Please forgive me.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think dealers should be allowed to add to the interest rate when getting fiancing for a customer.  Dealers already charge a document fee among other fees as part of the sale, along with dealer markup on the vehicle.  This is why I usually try to find my own financing ahead of time.  My credit union doesn't charge me extra just to finance me. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.