Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Refinance question - CapOne

tag
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Auto Refinance question - CapOne

Hi,

I haven't posted in about 5 years. That long, drawn out thread will eventually get started in the rebuilding forum.

More on the topic -

December 2021, my wife's car decided to start giving us issues. She was able to secure a loan through Carvana/Bridgecrest for a new to her family vehicle (GMC Yukon).

The interest rate is high, albeit (13.xx%). It is what it is. She doesn't have terrible credit just not much credit. CapOne offered the following:

2022-01-18 13_02_16-Your Auto Refinance Application With Capital One.png

I definitely don't want to extend the term and that 47 months for $53 more per month shaves about a year off the loan. Would she get a better rate at a CU? I don't know.

Thoughts? 

Thanks.

Current FICO 9 Scores

6 REPLIES 6
micvite
Frequent Contributor

Re: Auto Refinance question - CapOne

@madmann26 wrote:

Hi,

I haven't posted in about 5 years. That long, drawn out thread will eventually get started in the rebuilding forum.

More on the topic -

December 2021, my wife's car decided to start giving us issues. She was able to secure a loan through Carvana/Bridgecrest for a new to her family vehicle (GMC Yukon).

The interest rate is high, albeit (13.xx%). It is what it is. She doesn't have terrible credit just not much credit. CapOne offered the following:

2022-01-18 13_02_16-Your Auto Refinance Application With Capital One.png

I definitely don't want to extend the term and that 47 months for $53 more per month shaves about a year off the loan. Would she get a better rate at a CU? I don't know.

Thoughts? 

Thanks.

without a snapshot of her profile it's hard to tell, I mean credit unions such as penfed and DCU start at like 2.6 i think for used cars so theres a potential for a lower rate. honestly if it hasn't been long since the credit pull aka if its within the window for shopping around I'd pull the trigger and try to refinance it.

Ex: 742, TU: 726, EQ: 733 03/31/2021
Discover it cashback: $10900
Citi DC: $13000
WF Propel: closed 2k
Amex BCED: $3000
Amex Gold: $NPSL
Amex Plat: NPSL
Cap1 QS: $3200
Cap1 VX $50k
VS CC: $2900
Kohls: $3000
Synchrony car care: $3000
citi best buy visa: $8500
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check DCU for sure.

Recently a relative refinanced her car with DCU at 3.2%, this includes the 0.50% direct deposit discount. Her EQ5 score was in the 670s, they did require POI.

She also refinanced another vehicle with capital one at 4.9%, the only downside is that capital one doesn't offer gap insurance for refi's. So keep that in mind. Cap 1 didn't require POI

Both were seemless nontheless. Good Luck

Message 3 of 7
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the other responses...if you can provide a little more info about her credit profile you'll be able to get much better responses as to where she should consider seeking a refi.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Curious how did she get a direct deposit discount via Cap1. This is the first I'm hearing of this.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apologize, I didn't clarify. She receives the 0.50% discount with DCU, not capital one.

I edited my initial post.

Message 6 of 7
mdiaz9

I had initially financed a Lexus with Toyota financial and was paying 8.5% with my fico around 630 and a co-sign which was my brother he has a 715 in February 2021. I just refied in Oct 2021 since my score went up to 670 and was offered 5% with less month shaved off 120 dollars off my monthly payment.  Cap one has terrible customer service , I sent my title to get the Lien changed and 3 months still no title I keep calling , I have to move and with no title I won't be able to register in another state . Would look into credit union might offer better rates and service , I'm going to try NFCU myself. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.