Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer on CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance Transfer on CC?

I called Discover tonight and asked about the balance transfer that's available to me. He mentioned that i could also use it for some of my auto loan to lower that. If i did that i could get my car loan down to about the value of the car, but then i would have a credit card with a high debt limit but with the 0% for 14 months i think it was. I'd rather keep my limit low on the card. My offer is available until April. I told him i wanted to pay down the amount that's on the card first before i would do this. Should i use any of the credit available to pay off some of my car loan, maybe like 1000-1500?

7 REPLIES 7
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Balance Transfer on CC?

@Anonymous wrote:

I called Discover tonight and asked about the balance transfer that's available to me. He mentioned that i could also use it for some of my auto loan to lower that. If i did that i could get my car loan down to about the value of the car, but then i would have a credit card with a high debt limit but with the 0% for 14 months i think it was. I'd rather keep my limit low on the card. My offer is available until April. I told him i wanted to pay down the amount that's on the card first before i would do this. Should i use any of the credit available to pay off some of my car loan, maybe like 1000-1500?

If you would like to share more details. Perhaps, more members can give you some feedback.

CC credit limit, APR on car loan, length of loan, balance, original loan amount, etc.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 14,900 left on my loan, 40 payments left, 8.74% interest rate, i think the total loan with interest was 25019. My cc limit is $5700. I have a balance right now of $2000 on the card right now. 

Message 3 of 8
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

I did this with my NFCU Platinum this week. 1.99% for 12 months rather than 5% on my loan, 0 BT fees.

I can get it cleared in less than 12 months.

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If there are no fees associated with the 0% 14 month offer and you are using that to pay-down your auto loan, that sounds like a win-win.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wouldn't recomend if it's going to push the UTL% as it will hurt your FICO

Message 6 of 8
Caitt
Regular Contributor

Hey when you did it with NFCu do you just call your car financial company and tell them apply it to the principal? 

Message 7 of 8
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

Got the payoff quote online and filled out the BT form on NFCU website. No calls to car finance company required.

Car is now paid off and saved 6 months of interest.

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.