cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big APR difference with Capital One and Carvana?

tag
nhlbluesgirl
Valued Member

Big APR difference with Capital One and Carvana?

Is there always a large difference between pre-approval rates with Capital One and Carvana? My scores aren't the best (581, 582, 615 for Auto 8). I got pre-approval with Capital One for $51,000 (average APR around 10%). With Carvana, the average APR at the cars I looked at was almost 20%. That's a huge difference! I currently have a car loan with Cap. One, so maybe that's why?  What am I likely to get at a dealship?

FICO 8 as of 1/8/2022:

5 REPLIES 5
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Big APR difference with Capital One and Carvana?

Cap One can offer great rates...

I got 2.49% for 72 months a few years ago.

The better the car deal, the better the rate also...

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 6
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

It's called "dealer markup" - I have noticed the same when I was looking for a used car for my new teen driver.

Cap 1 is usually very straightforward in quoting rates which you can take to a dealer and have them honor it without any addon rates.

Carvana, Vroom and Shift are all "internet dealers" just like any other car dealer and have the ability to mark up or add on additional interest rates.

If you have a CU relationship, I'd get my "real" rate thru them to compare.  And if the CU rate is better, I'd take that pre-approval instead of having a dealer run my credit X number of times thru their banks....

Message 3 of 6
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

Plus Carvana owns the finance company.

Message 4 of 6
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Most lenders cap markup to about 3% over buy rate. There are many states that also set a cap that loans can be marked up.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Carvana has loan shark int rates. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.