Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Auto Loan Never Works.

tag
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One Auto Loan Never Works.

@Shooting-For-800 You nailed it.  One must find a good dealer.  The problem is once you give the dealer a signed credit app they'll run you even if you don't want them to and there's not much power one has to stop them once you sign such application.  This is why I hate that CapOne now requires that the dealer does a pull as well.  It just allows them to shop you even if you say that you absolutely want to move forward with CapOne. 

My advice to anyone who is worried that the dealership is going to shotgun them without their permission and use the CapOne criteria as a reason for running credit to begin with, I suggest locking your credit reports.  Ask them which one they need to pull to comply with CapOne's requirements...unlock it and after they see the initial pull from the actual dealer, lock it back right away.  

Most of the credit bureau's have apps or websites that consumers can use which allows for the quick locking and unlocking of reports.  Don't let the dealer make the false claim that because of the Patriot Act that need to pull your credit because they're lying.  If they insist I would suggest move on to another dealership.  

Message 11 of 15
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I told my dealer that I get instant CR alerts and I will walk out the door if he runs it for anyone other than CapOne.

He did not run it for others.

He was an excellent sales person from the start.

I negotiated everything via email before I even test drove.

Emailed every dealer in the state before visiting the dealership.

LOL.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 12 of 15
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Shooting-For-800  Kudos to you for setting your expectations and holding them to it.  If more folks would do this then a lot of the shady practices would cease.  

The sad part is that shady practices doesn't have to happen in order to make a living.  In my time as a Finance Manager I quickly learned that just about every customer I encountered wanted to spend money...I just had to give them a good enough reason to spend it with me and the dealership.  

It's as simple as asking questions, listening to your customers, tailor your menu, then present and close.  Simple enough.  But if you discover via fact finding that the customer never keeps a vehicle more than 2 years or certainly not outside of the 3/36 or 5/60 warranty and you try selling them a service agreement that you know dang well they don't need, then your boat will have sank before even leaving the dock.  

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my experiences, just seems like using CapOne auto finance requires an honest dealer as was said above. 

At least there was one good thing, I think, that came out of this.  I was on the Ally Financial Auto website since they are my lender for now and I see extended warranty.  Called the number, got transferred, and purchased a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty for $20 a month plus tax. It's their flex plan. With a Nissan CVT/Infotainment system I may need it if I keep the car long enough.

Message 14 of 15
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous Good deal on thinking ahead and getting a service agreement on your car. I know a lot of folks don't care for them but I buy one with every car I purchase. About a month ago I purchase a new 2021 and I added a service agreement as well.

Things break and in newer cars even the little things cost a lot to replace.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.