Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Hop?

tag
gul1
New Contributor

Car Hop?

My friend is sitting at car hop right now trying to get a vehicle, she purchased a vehicle from them last year but wrecked it. I looked up car hop and it seems like such a scam. She doesn't even get to chose the vehicle, they will give her a vehicle she qualifies for. They seem to have only older vehicles. She was told last week that she is approved but she has been sitting there for 4 hours now waiting on approval? She is on a limited income and her credit isn't good, she said car hop was her only choice. Are there any other places that would work for her? I feel bad for her. I am afraid they will rip her off again, sell her an old clunker with too many miles for way too  much money.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
gul1
New Contributor

Re: Car Hop?

She has been there for almost 6 hours now and is still waiting to get a vehicle. I looked at the car hop reviews and they aren't good.

Message 2 of 19
jwills1218
Regular Contributor

I don't know anything about CarHop but 6 hours is way too much. She needs to leave and let them know she isn't desperate. (Even if she is)

8/14/2014
EQ: 604
TU: 607
EXP: 610

8/22/14
607, 612, 629
Message 3 of 19
gul1
New Contributor

Problem is she is really desperate, she has no vehicle and 4 kids. We have no bus service around here and aren't in walking distance to anything really. The dealer is 40 minutes from here and a friend took her there. She doesn't have an option to leave as she depends on friends/family to take her places until she gets a vehicle. That place wanted 15 references, wanted to see her foodstamps, her lease, all kinds of stuff. I am surprised they didn't ask for a blood sample,lol. The van she bought from there had about 180 000 miles on it. Are there any other loans for people with bad credit and low income? Roadloans?

Message 4 of 19
AVeryHappyDad
Valued Member

Tell her to go somewhere that uses Chase or Americredit.  The hardluck dealerships aren't always the best choice.  Try a different dealership before she signs anything.  Try a Kia dealer.

AMEX Platinum NPSL, NFCU Flagship 25K, NFCU Navchek 15K, Amex Everyday 5K, Chase Freedom 5K, Citi AAdvantage World MC 5K, Barclays USAir 5K, USAA Amex 1K, Cap1 QS 300
Message 5 of 19
gul1
New Contributor

Just got a message from her, car hop wants her van that she wrecked. She hit someone and cracked her radiator and continued to drive it until it died a few days later It's toast, the engine has water in it, no radiator, head light is missing, it has has almost 200 000 miles on it and is super old. She still owes 1800 on the van. She doesn't really have a way to get that van there, dealer is a 40 minute drive, about 25 miles or so.

Message 6 of 19
andre181
Established Contributor

A friend of mine bought a car at CarHop and it broke down within 2 weeks of buying. CarHop refused to honor the 18 month warranty saying the cause of the breakdown was lack of maintenance on my friend's part. 

A car shouldn't need maintenance within 2 weeks of buying. I tell everyone to stay FAR away from CarHop.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 7 of 19
gul1
New Contributor

They put her in a 1998 plymouth voyager with 160 000 miles on it and required that she returned the wrecked 1997 dodge van. I am sure they rolled the money she owed on it onto the new loan and they will fix the wrecked van and sell it to someone. I don't even want to know how much she will pay for that voyager.

Message 8 of 19
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Wow!

Message 9 of 19
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

I looked up CarHop just now and wow they are so shady. I am sorry that your friend is in this situation. When you got 4 kids on limited income which is most of the females in my area it's hard. I am so glad that my '99 malibu that i purchased 2 years ago is still holding up OKAY because nowadays no one stands behind what they sell.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.