chakita
Established Member

Re: Carmax...question

Thanks Creditaddict.  Very good info.  Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I had stopped by and looked at a truck the local Carmax had.  I was paying cash and they said the price is set by corporate and even though I was paying cash, they couldn't negotiate.  I thanked them for their time and moved on.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 12 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

I had stopped by and looked at a truck the local Carmax had.  I was paying cash and they said the price is set by corporate and even though I was paying cash, they couldn't negotiate.  I thanked them for their time and moved on.

I think you shop at Carmax for simple no hassle pricing and cars that are suppose to be quality checked and good to go. they don't even advertise as really being cheapest but i find sometimes they just are!

Message 13 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

I think you shop at Carmax for simple no hassle pricing and cars that are suppose to be quality checked and good to go. they don't even advertise as really being cheapest but i find sometimes they just are!

They were way off the mark on this truck, had they been in the ballpark, I would have purchased.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 14 of 15
johnnypinaz
New Contributor

I bought a 2013 Ford Escape through them and am perfectly happy. I did pay the transfer fee and it arrived in exactly the condition they stated.

Actually, I bought a car from them and didnt realise I picked out the wrong model until I started driving it home 90 miles away and it didnt have some of the electronic upgrades I thougt it did. It was my fault so I just thought Id live with it. 3 days later they contacted me to see if I was happy and I told them of my error. 2 days later I brought that car back and they gave me a new one with the features I needed.

They put the old car I had for 5 days on my credit report as paid in full... nice!

The new one I got through CarMax financing at 4.5% and they reported my first paid payment within a week (even though it wasnt due for over a month). They did tell me the actual CarMAx financing is reserved for top tier customers but my credit really wasnt all that great. My Experian is what they pulled and I believe it was sitting at 715-720 at the time.

Maybe I paid a little more. I dont know. I got it at Blue Book, but I couldnt geta regular loan for under 19% anywhere else and they hooked me up so theya re my new friends  Smiley Happy

They dont sell junk cars and list EVERYTHING up front. I always thought they sounded iffy but my experience was great so I cant complain.

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 730
Goal Score: 750

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.