Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Buyer Needing Major Help

tag
ahughes10

First Time Buyer Needing Major Help

Hello everyone ---

I've been browsing the boards for awhile and I've been able to get a lot of great advice. I am a college student in desperate need of a newer car. I currently have a 2003 Corolla with 118k miles on it which isn't as reliable as I'd like for my commute (I currently work in Atlanta for the summer, go to school in Pittsburgh, and live in Jersey--I drive ALOT). I have a very low credit score due to student loans (in the 570 range), but I do have decent income (30k annually). I am hoping to get something newer and larger to carry all of my stuff and to handle my long trips, possibly a Jeep Patriot or Kia Sportage, but I am really concerned about getting approved for financing. Any advice or suggestions would be really great. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

Re: First Time Buyer Needing Major Help

Not trying to be mean but at least be honest if your asking for advice. I have over 50k of student debt and all my scores are 720+. Student debt doesnt really come into your score until after you have to start paying. IM sure I would have a 750+ if I didnt have the debt , but a 570 is due to alot of other issues your not saying.

Message 2 of 3
ahughes10

Re: First Time Buyer Needing Major Help

The loans were interest only payments that I got behind on because of billing issues with the student loan company. They would bill each of my loans at a different time each month, leading to me being billed almost weekly. I have taken care of that issue and I am working to rebuild credit.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.