Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GAP ?

tag
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

GAP ?

Hey FicoFam! ,

So got a question .. my father just purchased a new truck and i got a question about GAP ins. I know the basic of it but a little unsure about at what point should you have it vs not when it comes to values of your vehicle etc. I think we don't need it but price of truck msrp was 47k after negotiations etc we walked out financing 17k at 5.99%. We are now going to refi at our local credit union for a 2.74% to save on monthly payment and interest but i know there going to ask if we want gap and i just wanted to confirm on what to do . 

On my moms example 10 months ago her new vehicle was 26k and we walked out at 19k then did the whole local credit union thing and when they asked about gap we kinda stumbled and took it for the $300. Now looking back at the papers in the fine print it shows that they valued her car at 24k and now im thinking maybe we didn't need it and i made a bad move on that part. So now i just want to be prepared to my fathers transaction. 

Thanks in advance !

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: GAP ?

@Fico82 wrote:

Hey FicoFam! ,

So got a question .. my father just purchased a new truck and i got a question about GAP ins. I know the basic of it but a little unsure about at what point should you have it vs not when it comes to values of your vehicle etc. I think we don't need it but price of truck msrp was 47k after negotiations etc we walked out financing 17k at 5.99%. We are now going to refi at our local credit union for a 2.74% to save on monthly payment and interest but i know there going to ask if we want gap and i just wanted to confirm on what to do . 

On my moms example 10 months ago her new vehicle was 26k and we walked out at 19k then did the whole local credit union thing and when they asked about gap we kinda stumbled and took it for the $300. Now looking back at the papers in the fine print it shows that they valued her car at 24k and now im thinking maybe we didn't need it and i made a bad move on that part. So now i just want to be prepared to my fathers transaction. 

Thanks in advance !

If you're financing a vehicle for a dollar amount that's larger than what the vehicle is worth according to blue book, gap ins can be a good idea. However if you are financing the vehicle for less than the car is worth then they say the insurance isn't usually necessary

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 14
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Depends on cost, down payment, blue book, and depreciation.

Generally, large down payment means you don’t need GAP.

GAP can be ideal for leasing or trading in upside down.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 14
IPIF
New Contributor

on a new (not pre-owned) car you should have GAP insurance if you pay only a small down payment. The car will depreciate as soon as you drive it off the lot and continue with significant depreciation during the first year. So even if you are not upside down when you buy the car, you can be upside down when you drive it off the lot. But I would not buy it from car dealer or credit union. Many car insurers will sell it to you for a small additional premium. They may call it New Car Replacement insurance. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Owing a few thousand dollars on a car that was stolen or totalled is a very hard pill to swallow.

Get the GAP.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fico82 wrote:

Hey FicoFam! ,

GAP is only necessary if the car is worth less than the remaining principal of the loan. We would need more information such as the Kelley Blue Book value of the vehicle and the loan principal and monthly payment before giving you accurate advice. As an aside, if you purchase GAP insurance and pay off the loan early you will usually get a partial refund.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GAP?

This was a duplicate post

Message 7 of 14
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Fico82 wrote:

Hey FicoFam! ,

GAP is only necessary if the car is worth less than the remaining principal of the loan. We would need more information such as the Kelley Blue Book value of the vehicle and the loan principal and monthly payment before giving you accurate advice. As an aside, if you purchase GAP insurance and pay off the loan early you will usually get a partial refund.

Hey aeroazure ,

Bluebook is 35k Clean trade in 38k Clean Retail.

Loan Principal is $16,600

Payment @ $321 a month 5 year @ 5.99%.

Truck was purchased New off the lot last Saturday. Was the last 2018 on lot.

Im going in this monday to refi at 2.74 % to bring down payment and save on interest. 5 yr term.

So based off your input and others i should be in the clear not needing GAP correct ?

Thanks for everyone help greatly appreciated !

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fico82 wrote:

Hey aeroazure ,

Im going in this monday to refi at 2.74 % to bring down payment and save on interest. 5 yr term.

So based off your input and others i should be in the clear not needing GAP correct ?

Yes, you do NOT need to purchase GAP insurance. The insurance company pays the full value in a total loss, so around $35K. That not only covers your loan principal but gives you a great surplus for a down payment on a replacement vehicle.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I refinanced my auto loan last Feb and they offered GAP insurance. My vehicle is worth around $19k and the loan principal was $15k. I was heavily considering it until I put in some research and figured out what GAP insurance is actually for.

Message 9 of 14
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Fico82 wrote:

Hey aeroazure ,

Yes, you do NOT need to purchase GAP insurance. 

Thanks for the conformation .

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.