cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any scope for car loans for unemployed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any scope for car loans for unemployed?

Due to this COVID-19 pandemic, I have lost my job. But I want to purchase a car for my family. My husband is not agreeing to take the car loan in his name.  But I doubt it will be approved or not because I am currently unemployed and the only source of income I can show to the lender is my husband's salary.
In this situation will my car loan be approved?  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Is there any scope for car loans for unemployed?

@Anonymous wrote:

Due to this COVID-19 pandemic, I have lost my job. But I want to purchase a car for my family. My husband is not agreeing to take the car loan in his name.  But I doubt it will be approved or not because I am currently unemployed and the only source of income I can show to the lender is my husband's salary.
In this situation will my car loan be approved?  

You'd need to have your own income (and meet UW's DTI standards) to be considered for an auto loan in your name.  Pretty much the only way you'd be able to use your husband's salary would be if he were a co-borrower.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the 2 of you share a bank account , and his income is deposited into your checking account, you may be able to include his income as "additional".

As @Slabenstein mentioned, you will need to meet the lenders dti and UW guidelines. Are you part of NFCU? If so I would try them first, or whatever bank you currently bank with. Best of luck. Keep us updated !

Message 3 of 6
edwardw818

They will consider all other factors of your history, but chances are if you're anything like me, you won't get the best rates if they're basing it on your recent deposits... If it's anything like my luck with my previous car, they'll give you a lousy rate or even a subprime lender, which they'd favor the guy making $2K a month with all other good factors and give him a prime APR sooner than someone making $6K a month but only works a 1099 position, especially since your earnings are only voluntarily reported to the IRS/state tax board once a year with hardly any public access, instead of every paycheck to more accessible records.

In addition, although the CARES Act paid more than some jobs ever will, lenders don't see UI as a stable income. Is he COMPLETELY unwilling to have ANYTHING in his name, or can he at least be a cosigner?
Starting (May 2016):
Dec 2022: (Boosted)
Goal: 750 or better FICO across the board, buying a house with lowest possible interest... Maybe AmEx Centurion? J/K

Current (in order of limit):

Former:
Message 4 of 6
barca
Regular Contributor

If you have done business with cap one of recent - try their pre qualification .

they might not ask for proof of income , if you have good credit and you have submitted POI in the past .

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have no job, how are you going to make the payments ?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.