cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan Rate Help

Moto792
Contributor

Loan Rate Help

Hi all, I am getting ready to purchase a new vehicle.  The vehicle is about $81K after TTL and I will be putting down about $25K in cash.  I have found a credit union that is offering 2.49% on 72 months (they were offering 1.99% for 72 months until today) or 2.99% for 84 months. 

 

I'm curious since the interest rates are so close if I should just take the longer term.  I don't have any concern about making my monthly payments and will be paying ahead on it either way, as I'd like to clear the loan in 60 months or less. 

 

If you guys were in my shoes, which term would you choose? I think I should just take the 72 months but in case of emergency, maybe it would be good to have the lower payment on the 84 months since rates are so similar..

 

Open to feedback and your thoughts!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Moderator

Re: Loan Rate Help


@Moto792 wrote:

Hi all, I am getting ready to purchase a new vehicle.  The vehicle is about $81K after TTL and I will be putting down about $25K in cash.  I have found a credit union that is offering 2.49% on 72 months (they were offering 1.99% for 72 months until today) or 2.99% for 84 months. 

 

I'm curious since the interest rates are so close if I should just take the longer term.  I don't have any concern about making my monthly payments and will be paying ahead on it either way, as I'd like to clear the loan in 60 months or less. 

 

If you guys were in my shoes, which term would you choose? I think I should just take the 72 months but in case of emergency, maybe it would be good to have the lower payment on the 84 months since rates are so similar..

 

Open to feedback and your thoughts!


$56K  @6yrs, 2.49% is a payment of $838, with $4,345 total interest over life of loan

 

$56K @7yrs, 2.99% is a payment of $739 with $6,134 total interest over life of loan.

 

You'll be paying more interest with the higher 2.99% rate, how much more will depend on how quickly you're paying off the loan.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
A-B
Established Member

Re: Loan Rate Help

@Moto792 If you don't mind me asking, what FCU is offering 2.49% for 72 months?

Message 3 of 8
Moto792
Contributor

Re: Loan Rate Help

Message 4 of 8
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

Re: Loan Rate Help


@A-B wrote:

@Moto792 If you don't mind me asking, what FCU is offering 2.49% for 72 months?


You have to be a Wisconsin resident.

Message 5 of 8
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Loan Rate Help

i would take the longer term and make the extra payments that you had planned  - this way the monthly amount is lower in case of any financial issues

 

also - if they waive the first month - make the payment anyway - that way you save interest in the long run - plus you are always 1 month ahead on your payments

 

 

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Dec 29/2020 EX. 729 EQ. 723 TU 746
Dec 29/2021 EX. 734 EQ. 739 TU 746
Sept 1/2022 EX. 711 EQ. 666 TU 700
Inq. EX 2 EQ 5 TU 4 - - CC 5x24, 2x12
Amex BCP $32k - Apple GS $19k - BMW/Elan $14k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Boundless $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $25.5k - HSBC Gold - $13k - PayBoo - $9.6k - Penfed Gold - $12.5k - USB AltitudeGO -$16k- USBank Cash+ -$24k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $8k
Message 6 of 8
A-B
Established Member

Re: Loan Rate Help


@Gladius wrote:

@A-B wrote:

@Moto792 If you don't mind me asking, what FCU is offering 2.49% for 72 months?


You have to be a Wisconsin resident.


 

Yes, I noticed that.  Unfortunately, that disqualifies me.

Message 7 of 8
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Loan Rate Help

Some numbers to maybe help

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$56,000 @ 2.49% / payments  $838 (min)   = 72 months and  $4,345

$56,000 @ 2.49% / payments  $900               = 67 months and  $4,022

$56,000 @ 2.49% / payments  $1,000           =  60 months and  $3,591

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$56,000 @ 2.99% / payments $739 (min)  = 84 months and $6,134

$56,000 @ 2.99% / payments $800             = 78 months and $5,615

$56,000 @ 2.99% / payments $900             = 68 months and $4,925

$56,000 @ 2.99% / payments $1,000          = 61 months and $4,389

 

With $1000 payments the differance is  ~ $800

With  $900  payments the differance is ~  $900

With  $800 payments the differance is ~  $1,300

Safety or money ?

 

 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.