Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorcycle loan - updated with approvals

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Motorcycle loan: hive mind wisdom sought

Update 2: I was approved for the Coastal line of credit for $14K, which is what I asked for, at a current rate of 5.5%, but it floats with the prime rate.

Since this is the same rate as the NFCU motorcycle loan, I will use the PLOC, so I don't have a lien on the title. Although, I was looking forward to extending my relationship with NFCU to prep for a future Flagship card application.

Thanks for all suggestions. However, I didn't want to open another account for one loan, even assuming I would get the best available rate at a CU immediately after joining.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 11 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Congrats on your PLOC and terrific rate!

Worth noting the PLOC will report as revolving credit. While the motorcycle loan would have reported as a installment.

PLOC may well outlive the installment loan on your reports.

Especially after it's paid off.

The installment loan may have held more weight in a manual review for future credit. 

Message 12 of 16
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Thanks - I haven't actually used either yet, or received funds from either. So, I still could use the NFCU motorcycle loan, and let the PLOC be available for future needs. Although, if I did that, it would mean a lien on the title. I paid off a Self loan last year, and I currently have an auto loan. Do you think the motorcycle loan would help much in that context? Hmm, would a PLOC used in the way I'm planning to use it look like a maxed-out credit card for scoring purposes?

Another thought I had this morning in favor of the motorcycle loan is that it's a fixed rate, while the PLOC's rate will shoot up if the prime rate shoots up, and who knows what's going to happen in the economy over the next year or two.

Thanks!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Message 13 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@KJinNC 

If you use more than 30% of that PLOC, it will sting your scores.

More so than the motorcycle loan reporting will.

I thought about the rate change as well. 

Personally I'd do motorcycle loan.

You are your own man though, sometimes we have to let life teach us the do's and don'ts. 😆

Yes, I think the motorcycle loan would help over 10 plus years of your credit life. It would strengthen your profile even more so 18 plus months in.

It gives the UW a clear track record of you paying a bill. Unlike the PLOC which can fluctuate in and out like a credit card.

I have several loans on my CRs that I didn't actually need. I did it more so in order not to have that dreaded "thin file" code. 

The better the mix, the better your REAL world credit. I'm not talking scores. Which so many people get hung up on around here. And still get denied with 800 plus credit scores.

This is just MY approach to building a strong profile. Do what works for you my friend.

Message 14 of 16
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

I must admit, when I read the OP I was wondering why one would want a PLOC which when drawn on looks like a maxed out CC rather than taking an installment loan. The only benefit to the PLOC is not having a title lien, and I'm not sure why that would be worth taking the hit on scores for the maxed out PLOC.

Anyway, OP, you have your options so make your choice! Smiley Happy

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 15 of 16
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I realize now that wouldn't be a great idea. I have never had a PLOC and didn't think through how it would look on a credit report. I'm planning now to use the motorcycle loan instead. Thanks for all input! This is why we ask questions! Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.