Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Interes Rate Adjustment

tag
klondike
Valued Member

NFCU Interes Rate Adjustment

I have an existing NFCU new auto loan at 14.8%. It has been open 2 years and paid on time. I know they will redo loans brought in from other lenders, but has anyone had any luck getting them to lower an existing NFCU loan intereste rate?

I called and they said no, but it doesn't hurt to ask Smiley Happy

Starting FICO EQ Score: 597
Current FICO EQ Score: 664
Goal FICO EQ Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Interes Rate Adjustment

Very few if any institutions are going to refinance their own loans. It's not in their best interest. You can do a boomerang with NFCU though. Find another lender with a lower rate than your current NFCU loan, refinance and pay off NFCU, then refinance the new loan with NFCU if they can beat the rate. It's going to make a mess of average age of accounts and inquiries and may not be the smartest thing you could do.

Or alternatively you could find a lower rate with someone else and refinance and be happy with it. Next time you are looking for a new loan I'm sure NFCU will provide you a more competitive rate if your credit is solid.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

Very few if any institutions are going to refinance their own loans. It's not in their best interest. You can do a boomerang with NFCU though. Find another lender with a lower rate than your current NFCU loan, refinance and pay off NFCU, then refinance the new loan with NFCU if they can beat the rate. It's going to make a mess of average age of accounts and inquiries and may not be the smartest thing you could do.

Or alternatively you could find a lower rate with someone else and refinance and be happy with it. Next time you are looking for a new loan I'm sure NFCU will provide you a more competitive rate if your credit is solid.

That's why I love this board...I learn something new every day^^^^ Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
Elcid89
Contributor

@klondike wrote:

I have an existing NFCU new auto loan at 14.8%. It has been open 2 years and paid on time. I know they will redo loans brought in from other lenders, but has anyone had any luck getting them to lower an existing NFCU loan intereste rate?

I called and they said no, but it doesn't hurt to ask Smiley Happy

Unless the installment contract allows for it, and few do, they can't change the interest rate on a contractually specified loan agreement (which is fixed for the term of the agreement). It would be a breach of contract.

Getting the rate changed invariably involves refinancing the loan, which they are also not that amenable to doing with their own paper.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 4 of 6
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Interest Rate Adjustment

USAA likes to compete with NFCU. You could just try refinancing with them.

As another poster said you could then refi again back to NFCU.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU Interest Rate Adjustment

apply to capital one refi if you want to.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.