Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off a Refi

tag
joeyv1985
Frequent Contributor

Paying off a Refi

All, 

I refinanced my car in back in October of 2019 for a 3 year loan. The original loan from Capital One was about 12% for 5 years. Ouch. Although the refi APR is lower, I would still consider it relatively high. I refinanced 1 month before a baddie dropped off my report and my credit score surged from 627 to over 700 in December. Uuuggh. With that said, I have the means to pay it off but I've been holding off because I want to show the creditors I have the means to pay off an installment loan as agreed upon.  But since I'm at the tail end of my credit repair phase, should I wait until the 1 year anniversary to pay this off? There's only $15,700(from over $20K) left on the principal. What I can also do is bring the principal down to about $2-3K and stretch it out as long as possible. Thoughts? Thank you in advance. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Re: Paying off a Refi

@joeyv1985 wrote:

All, 

I refinanced my car in back in October of 2019 for a 3 year loan. The original loan from Capital One was about 12% for 5 years. Ouch. Although the refi APR is lower, I would still consider it relatively high. I refinanced 1 month before a baddie dropped off my report and my credit score surged from 627 to over 700 in December. Uuuggh. With that said, I have the means to pay it off but I've been holding off because I want to show the creditors I have the means to pay off an installment loan as agreed upon.  But since I'm at the tail end of my credit repair phase, should I wait until the 1 year anniversary to pay this off? There's only $15,700(from over $20K) left on the principal. What I can also do is bring the principal down to about $2-3K and stretch it out as long as possible. Thoughts? Thank you in advance. 

If you pay it off and it's your only installment loan, you will probably (unfortunately) see a score drop. This is due to your credit mix. The sweet spot( if it is your only installment) is to pay it down to 8.9%. From a FICO standpoint, you'll get the most points doing this. However, I would make sure that this doesn't change the loan terms and just pushes your next payment out by a couple of years. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 2 of 7
joeyv1985
Frequent Contributor

@BmoreBull wrote:

@joeyv1985 wrote:

All, 

If you pay it off and it's your only installment loan, you will probably (unfortunately) see a score drop. This is due to your credit mix. The sweet spot( if it is your only installment) is to pay it down to 8.9%. From a FICO standpoint, you'll get the most points doing this. However, I would make sure that this doesn't change the loan terms and just pushes your next payment out by a couple of years. 

Hello BmoreBull,
I realize the drop is inevitable should I pay off this loan. However, I really don't see a need for a high FICO in the near future because I can't think of any big-ticket purchases that will require a high Fico score. Be that as it may, I'm really hell-bent on reaching 800 on my FICO score before the end of the year and I'm really leaning on paying down most of the principal and leaving about $2-3K. After that, I'll pay it off and suffer the consequences. It will be paid in full with no late payments and as far as I can tell, the creditors won't be too upset about that. 

Message 3 of 7
joeyv1985
Frequent Contributor

I just paid $4K towards the principal. However, you can't do this on the Wells Fargo App or Wells Fargo Website. You have to go to a branch or do it over the phone. I did the latter. What a dissapointing system for one of the largest banks inb the U.S. On top of that, I have to wait a couple of days before I can make my regular car payment. Sad. 

Message 4 of 7
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Congrats on paying it down. Report back and let us know if you get any kind of score bump. Dp's are always good. Congrats again. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 5 of 7
joeyv1985
Frequent Contributor

@BmoreBull wrote:

Congrats on paying it down. Report back and let us know if you get any kind of score bump. Dp's are always good. Congrats again. 

Thanks BmoreBull

Message 6 of 7
joeyv1985
Frequent Contributor

It looks like only the June payment showed up on my most recent(8/13)report. When I make these large principal payments in the next 7 days, it won't show up until my October report. That works for me. I may pay it all off on the 1 year anniversay of this loan which is November. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.