Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about leasing

tag
mere2368
New Contributor

Questions about leasing

I hope this is ok to ask here.  Y'all know everything and I don't really know where else to ask other than the finance office of a dealership.  I am considering leasing for the first time.  I'm curious about trading in my current vehicle, though.  I have about $10K in equity.  So should I try to sell it on my own to like Carmax or something?  I wouldn't want to put that $10K down on a lease, right?  Would a dealer still take the "trade-in" and cut me a check?  I don't know why this is so complicated to me but I feel like I am confusing myself at this point lol. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
WomanITGeek
Contributor

Re: Questions about leasing

@mere2368 wrote:

I hope this is ok to ask here.  Y'all know everything and I don't really know where else to ask other than the finance office of a dealership.  I am considering leasing for the first time.  I'm curious about trading in my current vehicle, though.  I have about $10K in equity.  So should I try to sell it on my own to like Carmax or something?  I wouldn't want to put that $10K down on a lease, right?  Would a dealer still take the "trade-in" and cut me a check?  I don't know why this is so complicated to me but I feel like I am confusing myself at this point lol. 

I just sold my leased vehicle to Carmax. I pocketed a check for $7400. You get a check the same day you take your car to them. I say that's the best route and then go about getting a new car. I was happy to pocket the money however I'm having a hard time finding inventory for the new car I want so keep that in mind as well when you start looking for a new vehicle. No, it makes no sense to put down money on a leased vehicle. If the vehicle is totaled, you are out of that money completely. Tax, title etc and first month payment is all that should be put down on a lease. Good luck!

AMEX Gold: NPSL | Citi Custom Cash: $16,600 | Chase Freedom Unlimited: $15,600 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $28,800 | Express (Comenity) $5000
Message 2 of 3
increasingmyfico
Regular Contributor

Re: Questions about leasing

@mere2368 wrote:

Right no cash is best on a lease. They can cut you a check back for your equity at the dealer. I'm a huge lease advocate, but in this market I would recommend you compare the numbers against a purchase. Lots of the attractive leases have drifted away for the time being. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.