Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations needed - I've never driven 😅

tag
Joleybear
Valued Member

Recommendations needed - I've never driven 😅

I am planning ahead. We just bought our first home in Fort Wayne, IN and we're moving from Chicago, IL. We will need a car there, at least now and then, but neither myself nor my partner have ever owned one. I've never even driven.  He has, but not in many years and he doesn't have a license. Anyway, we are clueless and looking for recommendations for the best banks for financing. Who gives lower APR? Do they actually use the "Auto" scores FICO shows us and do they typically pull all 3 for financing? How can we prepare for the application over the next few months? Chase has me preapproved for 54k in auto financing, but the last apr they showed me was ridiculous - over 8%. That seems excessive to me. Any advice or experiences you can share would be appreciated. 

Note: Not sure exactly what model we want, but I am kind of eyeing a bronze Toyota Sienna. We plan to buy new and prefer an suv or van because we have kids.

8 REPLIES 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Recommendations needed - I've never driven 😅

Message 2 of 9
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Joleybear, regarding interest rates, I think you have three main options:

1. Look into a loan from a credit union
  2. Research which manufacturers have subsidized rates (I believe Toyota has a number of good rates now, depending upon vehicle)
  3. Have a dealership finance department shop rates for you, each dealership typically has a number of preferred lenders, credit unions included, they can leverage.

Keep us posted on how you make out.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 3 of 9
donkort
Valued Contributor

My feeling is that you're sort of "putting the cart before the horse."  Doesn't one have to have a license to get a car delivered to them?

You can't drive without a license, anyway.....so I would get the license first.  Preferably in Indiana.

Come to think of it:  Perhaps your husband could renew his license in Illinois?  How long has he not had an Illinois license?  If less than a certain amount of time (seems like it's 1 year before one has to take a road test again; 8 years for the written test), this might be easier than both of you going through the whole process of getting a license.

Here is a possibly pertinent link:

All in all, it would be MUCH easier should your husband be able to renew his Illinois license.  If he has to retake the road test, I would make an appointment for one as soon as possible.  

Illinois Driver’s License Renewal (A Complete 2023 Guide) (drive-safely.net)

If it's over 8 years, I would just start the process of getting a license in Indiana.  I know you have kids, and that it's hard not to have a car in most areas of cities below like 300,000 or so in population.  Even in Nassau County, NY, one county over from Queens County, one must have a car, for all intents and purposes.   I would start the process of getting a license PRONTO.  Probably, your husband should get his license first, then be with you while you learn to drive.  People generally need practice beyond having driving lessons.

If you get caught for unlicensed driving, you don't get a big fine----but your insurance rates go up a lot.  This happened to me.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 4 of 9
Joleybear
Valued Member

@donkort wrote:

My feeling is that you're sort of "putting the cart before the horse."  Doesn't one have to have a license to get a car delivered to them?

You can't drive without a license, anyway.....so I would get the license first.  Preferably in Indiana.

Come to think of it:  Perhaps your husband could renew his license in Illinois?  How long has he not had an Illinois license?  If less than a certain amount of time (seems like it's 1 year before one has to take a road test again; 8 years for the written test), this might be easier than both of you going through the whole process of getting a license.

All in all, it would be MUCH easier should your husband be able to renew his Illinois license.  If he has to retake the road test, I would make an appointment for one as soon as possible.  

If it's over 8 years, I would just start the process of getting a license in Indiana.  I know you have kids, and that it's hard not to have a car in most areas of cities below like 300,000 or so in population.  Even in Nassau County, NY, one county over from Queens County, one must have a car, for all intents and purposes.   I would start the process of getting a license PRONTO.  Probably, your husband should get his license first, then be with you while you learn to drive.  People generally need practice beyond having driving lessons.

If you get caught for unlicensed driving, you don't get a big fine----but your insurance rates go up a lot.  This happened to me.

We don't plan to drive without a license, but getting a license is easier and takes less planning than getting a loan for a 40k+ car. I appreciate the thought, but sadly it's been more than 8 years. We don't need a car right away. We will live a mile from about 30 different stores but I want to plan in advance so I know what to expect. I know I'll probably research for week or a couple months before I choose how I want to finance. 

Message 5 of 9
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Joleybear wrote:

We don't plan to drive without a license, but getting a license is easier and takes less planning than getting a loan for a 40k+ car. I appreciate the thought, but sadly it's been more than 8 years. We don't need a car right away. We will live a mile from about 30 different stores but I want to plan in advance so I know what to expect. I know I'll probably research for week or a couple months before I choose how I want to finance. 

Actually no!

You can get a loan through most credit unions for low APR or just walk-in to a dealer and finance a car on the spot!

However getting your license for a 1st time may require you to attend a driving class, getting permit and then passing road test!

Good luck finding a driving school that would take you right in...

Message 6 of 9
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Joleybear wrote:

I am planning ahead. We just bought our first home in Fort Wayne, IN and we're moving from Chicago, IL. We will need a car there, at least now and then, but neither myself nor my partner have ever owned one. We don't need a car right away. We will live a mile from about 30 different stores but I want to plan in advance so I know what to expect.

For a "now & then" vehicle to drive one mile most of the time, I would get a MUCH cheaper and slightly used vehicle. Especially if you will be adjusting to likes/dislikes as a new driver and owner. But that's just me.

I have driven to Fort Wayne for business and pleasure. People there affectionally call it "The Fort". Your cost of living most likely definitely went down when compared to Chicago or Illinois.

Welcome to Indiana.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 7 of 9
donkort
Valued Contributor

I guess one could get a car delivered to one's home....but I doubt a dealership would allow a person to pick up a car from their location without a license.

I know a person can't get auto insurance without a license.
And a person can't register a vehicle without proof of insurance. (Unless another person registers the car for you).

Basically, I would put the car in a garage, away from the street.

I'm not judging anybody for not having a license.  I didn't get mine until I was 37.  I also got a car before I got a license.  But somebody else had to register it and insure it.  I was caught driving without a license a month before I got a license.  My insurance rates skyrocketed because of that.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 8 of 9
fury1995
Valued Contributor

@Joleybear wrote:

@donkort wrote:

Congratulations on the new home.

Alot of people do exactly what you and your partner about to do right after a new home purchase.. Second largest purchase most people make is a new car, right after the home. I see the obstacles you have coming with the move, with shopping for a car and of course the issue with licenses but you may have missed one important consideration in the conversation. Check into insurance and the requirements. Folks overlook this in the process and this can be a real issue for anyone who does not have continuing coverage (and newly licensed) and forget to budget for the expense, even at the dealership at the time of purchase. Rates may be somewhat higher for someone without recent auto insurance history and you don't want that to be a wrench in the machine. Just a thought.

Best of luck!  

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.