Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Few Random Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Few Random Questions

Hi there,

This forum has been a great help to me over the last year so I'm hoping you can provide some more advice! 

Background:

• Ch. 7 filed 2/8/19, discharged 5/15/19. Burned BoA, Barclay, Citi, and Marcus by Goldman Sacks. Discover is also reporting IIB because my lawyer insisted I list them on my bankruptcy petition even though they had $0 discharged. 
  • Approved for Cap 1 Platinum card w/ $2k limit on 6/29/19 (will upgrade to $2.5K limit in January). I also have a car loan that was reaffirmed and is properly reporting, along with my student loans.
  • Current scores from MyFICO are 680 (Equifax), 640 (Transunion), and 654 (Experian).

Questions:

• Looking on a few bank preapproval websites, I'm seeing that I'm pre-qualified for the following cards. Does it make sense to apply for any of them? 
    • Bank of America: BankSecurred card (odd since I burned them)
    • BB&T: Spectrum Cash Rewards, Spectrum Travel Rewards, Bright
    • Discover: it Cash Back and it Chrome Card (think this may be the website glitch others are talking about as they're reporting IIB (but weren't "burned") and, as of two weeks ago, I wasn't preapproved for anything)
    • Kohls Charge Card
  • My dad has offered to add me as an authorized user on one of his credit cards. He has 800+ FICOs with all of the bureaus so I fully trust that he is being responsible with his credit and he wouldn't do anything with his credit cards that would be negative/derogatory. Would this be beneficial to me? If so, is there a specific bank I should be added to (he has accounts with all of the major banks)?
  • Is there anything I can do so my old Discover card doesn't show as derogatory/IIB since they weren't harmed? I tried calling but they refused to remove the notation so it's showing as a derogatory account on my credit reports. That said, I know I may not have a choice since it was listed on the bankruptcy petition (even though it had a $0 balance).

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: A Few Random Questions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there,

This forum has been a great help to me over the last year so I'm hoping you can provide some more advice! 

Background:

• Ch. 7 filed 2/8/19, discharged 5/15/19. Burned BoA, Barclay, Citi, and Marcus by Goldman Sacks. Discover is also reporting IIB because my lawyer insisted I list them on my bankruptcy petition even though they had $0 discharged. 
  • Approved for Cap 1 Platinum card w/ $2k limit on 6/29/19 (will upgrade to $2.5K limit in January). I also have a car loan that was reaffirmed and is properly reporting, along with my student loans.
  • Current scores from MyFICO are 680 (Equifax), 640 (Transunion), and 654 (Experian).

Questions:

• Looking on a few bank preapproval websites, I'm seeing that I'm pre-qualified for the following cards. Does it make sense to apply for any of them? 
    • Bank of America: BankSecurred card (odd since I burned them) Since they were freshly burned. I highly doubt it.
    • BB&T: Spectrum Cash Rewards, Spectrum Travel Rewards, Bright I was 3 yrs out for the Specturm, Not burned. Went in branch after opening e-savings online which is free to transfer CB rewards into it it. Not sure how far out though.
    • Discover: it Cash Back and it Chrome Card (think this may be the website glitch others are talking about as they're reporting IIB (but weren't "burned") and, as of two weeks ago, I wasn't preapproved for anything) Most cases are usually near a year out. Lately some have gotten pre-approved and then denied once they pull the trigger. YMMV.
    • Kohls Charge Card
  • My dad has offered to add me as an authorized user on one of his credit cards. He has 800+ FICOs with all of the bureaus so I fully trust that he is being responsible with his credit and he wouldn't do anything with his credit cards that would be negative/derogatory. Would this be beneficial to me? If so, is there a specific bank I should be added to (he has accounts with all of the major banks)?
  • Is there anything I can do so my old Discover card doesn't show as derogatory/IIB since they weren't harmed? I tried calling but they refused to remove the notation so it's showing as a derogatory account on my credit reports. That said, I know I may not have a choice since it was listed on the bankruptcy petition (even though it had a $0 balance).

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Not much you can do about Disco. If they were on the BK schedule. It will stick. You can upgrade your Plat to a QS so you can get some cash back. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-check-for-upgrade-link/td-p/4934733 

You could try for a store card to keep building on your own. Your scores arent that bad right now. Once you add a couple more cards you'll gain a few more points since you only have 1 card. Dont need any credit builder loans. You already got them already. Anoter Cap1 card cant be applied for until Dec/Jan. Kohls seems like a rather good choice. But being fresh out I gotta say. YMMV. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick (and detailed!) reply!

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chiming in with an update: I checked the Discover pre-approval site again and was pre-approved for the it and Chrome cards. Realizing some people are reporting the pre-approval site isn't always accurate, I still took the risk and applied for the it card. I was approved with a $11k limit!

Message 4 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

WUT!?! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

WUT!?! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley Happy

Capture.JPG

I know! I don't think I'll actually believe it until the card arrives but I just looked at the "Check Application Status" screen and that's what appeared!

Message 6 of 14
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Holy! Well done.

Message 7 of 14
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Nice going!  

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 8 of 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

That's badtail!  Congrats OP!

On the BB&T pre-qual....what is it showing apr% wise?  For all three cards- their %?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

That's badtail!  Congrats OP!

On the BB&T pre-qual....what is it showing apr% wise?  For all three cards- their %?

I'm not sure what they were when I did my initial preapproval but here's what's showing up now:

• BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards Credit Card - 0% on purchase and balance transfers for 12 months and then 23.99% variable
  • BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Credit Card - 23.99% variable plus 20,000 bonus miles (a $200 value) when you spend $2,000 in the first 90 days
  • BB&T Bright Credit Card - 0% on purchase and balance transfers for 15 months and then 21.99% variable
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.