Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy for bad credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bankruptcy for bad credit?

Hey guys new member but been reading and I had a question. I have about 30k in debt 18k of is a van that will get repod soon but I don't want to keep it as it's high interest and a lot of negative equity. Last couple years I've had a lot of late pays on different things so my credit is horrible. Ive decided BK7 is best for us now. Question is what will it do for my credit and the previous negative activity? Will they still be there also?  I've heard it's a 'reset' of sorts but I am wondering what it will do for me. Thanks guys 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy for bad credit?

People usually see a big score jump after filing because your revolving balances should get zeroed out.  And carrying high balances on credit cards effects your score as bad as late pays and collections.  So you will probably get a nice score jump and once you get your discharge, the credit card offers will start flowing in.  The reason for that is lenders know you cant file again for a long period of time.  Dont fall for the predatory credit cards with the huge annual fees and the opening balances when you accept the card. 

Stick with the Capital ones and the credit one companies.  NO FINGERHUT.  NO BLUESKY.  None of those bottom barrel banks looking to charge you fees while only giving you a $300 limit.  

Try to get a Navy secured card or a secured card from BOA or Capital one if you cant get unsecured.  Then only use them for gas.

Message 2 of 20
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

People usually see a big score jump after filing because your revolving balances should get zeroed out.  And carrying high balances on credit cards effects your score as bad as late pays and collections.  So you will probably get a nice score jump and once you get your discharge, the credit card offers will start flowing in.  The reason for that is lenders know you cant file again for a long period of time.  Dont fall for the predatory credit cards with the huge annual fees and the opening balances when you accept the card. 

Stick with the Capital ones and the credit one companies.  NO FINGERHUT.  NO BLUESKY.  None of those bottom barrel banks looking to charge you fees while only giving you a $300 limit.  

Try to get a Navy secured card or a secured card from BOA or Capital one if you cant get unsecured.  Then only use them for gas.

I'd flip the CreditOne offers into the "bottom barrel" class, too predatory for my liking.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not at all.  I have one they gave me, $2000 limit and no fees.  How is that predatory?

Message 4 of 20
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not at all.  I have one they gave me, $2000 limit and no fees.  How is that predatory?

A fee free card is pretty rare for CreditOne, you are one of the very few with such a card, then there is they fact they typically charge interest from the moment a charge is made.  I call that predatory.

Cards from the likes of CapitalOne are far more traditional in that if you pay the balance in full by the due date, there is zero interest charged.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Might be a dumb question but will late pays on a previous car had last year still be on there or does BK resolve that as well? 

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 6 of 20
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Might be a dumb question but will late pays on a previous car had last year still be on there or does BK resolve that as well? 

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a definite maybe as to whether the lates will drop off.  We had a car loan which was active when I filed my Chapter 13, and even though we never made a single late payment, it reports as if there were late payments as the loan is listed as "Included In Bankruptcy" (IIB).  I'm thinking (hoping?) that loan will drop off next February when my filing ages out to the 7-year mark.  With that said, I believe I've read here where other auto loans were IIB and dropped off credit reports in as little as six months, so, as I wrote earlier, "a definite maybe".

Chapter 13:

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if they were closed before I file?

Message 8 of 20
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Even if they were closed before I file?

If you're asking if the auto loan will show up on your credit report, warts and all, if you close out the account before you file, they I believe the answer is an absolute "yes", it will most likely stay on your report for 10-years.

Chapter 13:

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it be worth it to file then? To improve my credit. Yes I know it'll drop it in the beginning but I can improve after that. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.