Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One Denial

My dc took place the end of January and I'm still trying to get the 3 cards that's been recommended that you have to start rebuiling. I have one unsecured credit card through my credit union and was sent a preapproval offer through Credit One, yet when I went to apply I was denied. The interesting thing is it listed my credit score at a 712. Any suggestions on what I should do next or should I just try to build with the one card that I have?

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit One Denial

Try Capital one preapproval webpage, I was approved for a platinum card before my discharge.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried them. I burned a lot of major credit companies in my bk and they were one of them.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha, I was lucky I burned every prime lender but never had a CapitalOne card.  If you keep waiting they should eventually let you back in from what I read.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try first premier as bad as it sounds for unsecured. If you have funds to put toward a secured card, open sky is option along with SDFCU (state department federal credit union). That would give you the 3 cards (for optimal scoring purposes) which would get you going and then check out self. Self, offers a credit rebuilding loan that after 3 payments will give you a credit card to help in your rebuilding efforts. Good luck!

Message 5 of 14
Navigator1
Established Member

If you can get a Navy fed membership their secured card it the ideal rebuild tool. You can start with as little as $200 and after 6 statements they will graduate your card to $2,000 (That is the amount I have seen from all the secured account holders that have posted on here). I started with $300 last month and I use the card a lot and will wait to see.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, Navy Federal was one that I also burned in my BK Smiley Sad I still have a 'membership' with them though but I've read that it's hard to get back in with them once they've been burned.

Message 7 of 14
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

With Navy, if you repay them what you owed, they have been quite known to lend again. Takes a yr for normal things. Alot of people have gotten the secured card the same day they paid and ensured the system updated first.

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My dc took place the end of January and I'm still trying to get the 3 cards that's been recommended that you have to start rebuiling. I have one unsecured credit card through my credit union and was sent a preapproval offer through Credit One, yet when I went to apply I was denied. The interesting thing is it listed my credit score at a 712. Any suggestions on what I should do next or should I just try to build with the one card that I have?

My first cards out of BK7 were

- Discover secured (which graduated like clockwork 7 statements later with a huge CLI)

- indigo MC which stays a low SL and will not CLI, but helps with AZEO- unsecured 

- Blaze MC which started low and did an auto CLI a few months later -unsecured 

you could try to prequal for mission lane and Merrick bank. Both unsecured. Merrick recently doubled my CL at 7th statement.

good luck!

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about that. Smiley Sad

I am curious now too about where Credit One gets their credit score when they attempt to pre-qualify a person. I'm about 45 days from discharge and so obviously not looking for credit or expecting I would be approved for credit but after I read your post I just now tried for a pre-qualify on their website and they not surprisingly denied me but they said my credit score was 637. Meanwhile my FICO8 score that Experian is reporting on Experian's website is 554. So who even knows.... just curious now.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.