Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing accounts while in CH13

tag
mau471
Contributor

Disputing accounts while in CH13

Hello,

I am currently in a Chapter 13 until 9/20 and am seeking some clarification on reporting. I am trying to clean up my reports as much possible in prep for discharge next year. My number one question that I haven't found a totally clear answer on is does filing "restart the clock" on the debts included or should they still go off of DOFD?  For example American Express wiped my entire payment history when I filed so the 7 year clock is reflecting 9/15 (when I filed) instead of 10/13 when I stopped paying the account. Another card still is reporting as a charge off with a balance due even though it was included in my plan but they failed to file a claim so it doesn't show iib. This is set to drop off in mid 2020. 

My concern with American Express is if the 7 years is supposed to start from DOFD and not date of filing how do I go about disputing that with the best chances of getting it removed and if not that at least backdated. I would really like to push that up to a drop date of 2020 instead of 2022 since that would be 7 years from when I stopped paying. For the others it's things like still showing a balance when they should show iib or various other inacuracies. I don't want to rock the boat on those if it should have reset to 9/15 when I filed and could hurt me longer since they will drop off a lot sooner if I leave it alone. If everything gets reflected to show the actual date of first delinquency everything except my car loan will be off of my reports by 1/21 since I stopped paying everything around in the months surrounding september of 2013 but didn't file until Sep 15.

2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputing accounts while in CH13

If an account goes to CO prior to the month the BK is filed a DoFD is set and that is the set in stone date that the CRTP is set from. Call the CRAs and get the DoFD that is being reported and if its different and you have a prior CR copy showing the DoFD send it to them with a demand that the correct DoFD be inserted into the CRAs data. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
mau471
Contributor

Re: Disputing accounts while in CH13

Awesome, thank you for the info that is what I was hoping for, I have been learning a lot on here so far.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.