cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyone talks about NFCU.... can i obtain?

tag
LeoTheDOG
Established Member

Everyone talks about NFCU.... can i obtain?

Seems like this entire fourm talks about NFCU, can civilians obtain these cards, i looked and seems need someone in immediate family that is military which i dont.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

Re: Everyone talks about NFCU.... can i obtain?

Yes, you must have a military connection. If you live in the same household as a military person, I believe, you care able to join. The identification requirements are pretty stringent, but I was just able to join because I am the widow of my husband who served in the Navy. Perhaps if either of your parents were military...?? You can certainly call them, as I did. They are extremely helpful, and will go to every possible length for you to become a member. I love NFCU! Good luck to you! (Call them - their number is 888-842-6328. They are open 24/7/365.)

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LeoTheDOG wrote:

Seems like this entire fourm talks about NFCU, is this many Military folk bad with money or can civilians obtain these cards, i looked and seems need someone in immediate family that is military which i dont.

As you already know, you must have some connection to the military.  There was once a loophole that allowed you to join with no affiliation but they shut that down.

Message 3 of 12
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I don't understand what you mean by military folk bad with money ??

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 12
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

I, too, don't understand what the writer means about military folk bad with money. NFCU is not a sub-prime credit union. It is the No. 1, and the largest, credit union in the nation.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to join NFCU over the phone. My Grandfather was in the Marines. He has since passed away and I assumed they would want some proof, they did not. I actually spent a fair amount of time getting his DD214 discharge papers too. 

My friend was able to get NFCU because of a girlfriend that had it. Not sure the exact rules on this but it seems like they sometimes take a "close enough" approach. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was able to join NFCU over the phone. My Grandfather was in the Marines. He has since passed away and I assumed they would want some proof, they did not. I actually spent a fair amount of time getting his DD214 discharge papers too. 

My friend was able to get NFCU because of a girlfriend that had it. Not sure the exact rules on this but it seems like they sometimes take a "close enough" approach. 

They would have to live together.  I would keep those DD214s on hand.  NFCU has suspended accounts until the outcome of whatever reasons are resolved.  It wouldn't be fun to have your checking and credit shut down at any time.

Message 7 of 12
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

LeoTheDog,

The reason you see and hear about Navy Federal is they treat every member fantastically!   

I joined years ago ago using the Navy League loophole, which sadly closed in 2017. I didn’t want to ask my family in the military to sponsor  me.  I was a few years out of my bankruptcy and they gave my one of the largest credit lines.  I actually save more money with their rates on CD’s. 

To me Navy Federal has been awesome to me and is one of my favorite credit unions.

Guyatthebeach

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I joined the CSR asked me about my membership qualification and I told her that both of my grandfathers served with the one on my dad's side being career Navy.  I don't have their paperwork and unfortunately both have passed a while back and I know my dad doesn't have his DD-214.  I'm sure I can request that if ever needed though.

The CSR took me at my word and we've been banking with NFCU for a good 8 months now.  Now I'm wondering if they will ever ask for proof in the future.  Smiley Sad   I can get it but I don't know if it will cost anything or how quickly I could get it.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you ever need it. I believe you can get it here: 

It is a bit of a process to get and there are companies that will expedite it for an additional fee. 
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.