Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is bankruptcy the best option??

tag
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is bankruptcy the best option??

@donkort wrote:

To me, a BK13 is very similar to a Debt Management Plan, which doesn't reduce your debt obligations, only reduces the interest on your debt.  This is very good for taxes (you don't have to claim a reduced debt obligation as income), as well as your credit report (there's no "settled for less than what was owed.")

I agree with the first part and disagree with the second part, it is a Wage Earners Plan (as you said very similar to a DMP) however it CAN reduce your debt, in my case I paid 18% of my debt and the court waived their magic wand and made the other 82% disappear (and as you mention without creating a tax liablity for me) - many 13's aren't 100% plans 

Oh and it only eliminates interest on unsecured debt, anything secured the APR % will change to a court approved rate (could be better or worse but it doesnt inpact the debitor at all, in my case it increased my auto loan but was paid off much quicker than the terms of the loan called for) 

Message 21 of 36
donkort
Valued Contributor

I get what you're saying.  

How "smart" do you have to be to get 81% of your debt erased without tax liability?  I guess this is where bankruptcy attorneys come in.  I should research the "Wage Earners" entity which you mentioned. 

Upon research:  It does seem like, should you get approved for the reduced debt within your BK13, that you could apply with the IRS to render the "forgiven" debt nontaxable owing to the fact of the bankruptcy.  One would be required to fill out a Form 1099-C.  Seems pretty simple, actually.

Both an anecdotal and research-based comparison between the credit file effects of BK13 and DMPs should be compiled.   I am glad that you've had your success with your BK13. 

MYFICO does have excellent resources for those who seek to obtain minimal negative effects, over all, from bankruptcy.  All perfectly kosher.  

This is my feeling----as a somewhat unsophisticated person in financial things:

I am under the strong impression that DMP's have a shorter, and lesser, negative effect upon your credit file, over all, than a BK13.   

Moreover, should you complete the DMP, you could have your debt erased without having to say you've had a "bankruptcy" in the past when you're asked this while applying for anything.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 22 of 36
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@donkort wrote:

How "smart" do you have to be to get 81% of your debt erased without tax liability?  I guess this is where bankruptcy attorneys come in.  I should research the "Wage Earners" entity which you mentioned. 

Upon research:  It does seem like, should you get approved for the reduced debt within your BK13, that you could apply with the IRS to render the "forgiven" debt nontaxable owing to the fact of the bankruptcy.

Both an anecdotal and research-based comparison between the credit file effects of BK13 and DMPs should be compiled.   I am glad that you've had your success with your BK13. 

MYFICO does have excellent resources for those who seek to obtain minimal negative effects, over all, from bankruptcy.  All perfectly kosher.  

I am under the strong impression that DMP's have a shorter, and lesser, negative effect upon your credit file, over all, than a BK13.   

Moreover, should you complete the DMP, you could have your debt erased without having to say you've had a "bankruptcy" in the past when you're asked this while applying for anything.

To me, the benefits of a Chapter 13 over a DMP were enormous:

• I had my debt reduced by roughly 80%; it is unlikely my creditors would have agreed to that much of a reduction.
  • After my Chapter 13 was discharged I had zero tax liability; had I done a DMP and been lucky enough to have a similar amount of debt reduction, I would have ended up owing taxes on nearly $200,000, and given my income grew substantially during the five years of my bankruptcy (meaning a higher marginal tax rate), I would have needed to pony up for at least $40,000 in taxes.
  • When my Chapter 13 fell off my credit reports a little over a year ago all of my FICO scores shot up to at least 810; not sure if that would have been possible if I had done a DMP.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 23 of 36
donkort
Valued Contributor

Yep....Anecdote!  Frequently trumps all else.

And I'm happy for you, Horseshoez.  Sounds like an eminently excellent outcome for you.  

But then.....you still have to disclose the bankruptcy.  

I guess one has to weigh one's options.  The individual situation.

Message 24 of 36
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@donkort, yes, I will need to disclose the Chapter 13 if I'm asked.  That said, it has literally been decades since I was asked if I have ever filed for bankruptcy, however, I have been asked if I have an active/open bankruptcy or if I've filed for bankruptcy within a certain number of years.  Since my discharge three years ago I've taken a new high end job and applied for probably a dozen credit cards as well as a new car loan; not once was I asked about a previously discharged bankruptcy.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)

Message 25 of 36
donkort
Valued Contributor

Bankruptcy seems tough-going within the course of it-----I wouldn't want to think about an upcoming 341 Meeting, even though they seem to last only 10-15 minutes or so-----but there is certainly hope that after this "tough-going," that everything is smooth sailing afterwards.

Message 26 of 36
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@donkort wrote:

Bankruptcy seems tough-going within the course of it-----I wouldn't want to think about an upcoming 341 Meeting, even though they seem to last only 10-15 minutes or so-----but there is certainly hope that after this "tough-going," that everything is smooth sailing afterwards.

I don't think any Chapter 13 would ever qualify as "Smooth Sailing"; one needs to live within a certain budget and learn to cut corners wherever possible.  One thing recommended to me by my attorney prior to filing, advice which I didn't fully appreciate and ultimately ignored, was to buy a new(er) car; I opted to enter my 5-year bankruptcy with a 14 year old Honda Accord with nearly 200,000 miles on it.  Yeah, you guessed it, the car didn't survive the bankruptcy; while it was mechanically sound, corrosion had it's way with parts of the body, the brake lines, the fuel tank, the fuel lines, and the cooling system, pretty much all at the same time.  Had I opted to repair it, the cost would have been north of $3,000 and I would still have had a 17 year old car with over 225,000 miles on the clock.  Fortunately I had been frugal and was able to buy something newer which made it the rest of the way through.

Had I to do it all over again, I would have gone out and bought something like a new Corolla (with a full extended warranty and maintenance plan) and entered the bankruptcy with a secured asset; it would have been paid for out of my monthly payments to the Trustee and I would have exited the bankruptcy with a fully paid for saleable asset.

Chapter 13:

Message 27 of 36
donkort
Valued Contributor

Glad it's in the past!

Message 28 of 36
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@donkort wrote:

Upon research:  It does seem like, should you get approved for the reduced debt within your BK13, that you could apply with the IRS to render the "forgiven" debt nontaxable owing to the fact of the bankruptcy.  One would be required to fill out a Form 1099-C.  Seems pretty simple, actually.

waiving the Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 magic wand means zero tax liabilty - you can file pro sae or use an attorney (myself I'd recommend using an attorney) 

None of my debt was eliminated until the conclusion of my 13 (5 years after filing) - I did not receive any 1099c's (my understanding is it is not proper to issue them in a bankruptcy) 

I can't say which is better WEP (13) or DMP - I will say a 13 has a shorter impact on your credit report as it only says on for 7 years versus 10 for a 7 - a DMP could result in the individual accounts staying active on your report for 10 years since payments are being made outside of a legal process but I'm not an attorney, just my thoughts 

Message 29 of 36
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@donkort wrote:

my tax liablity would have been similar on the 81% to what was mentioned above, that alone is enough to make you smile at the 341 - no the process isn't easy but getting out the hole via any other method isn't any easier - just have to stay focused, sometime make difficult choices but it's possible to get through and you'd be better off once finished 

If it helps - my case was discharged 12/28/22 - on 1/3 I was approved for a CO Quick Silver for $10K, WF Active Cash $4, few days later Verizon Visa $4K etc....I'm now 68 days out from discharged and have 7 credit cards (none with sub-lending banks) 

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.