Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Rebuild thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Rebuild thread

I thought I would add my story to this board. I think it helps to have community during this process. I moved from the Midwest to a Northwest resort town for work, and to get closer to family. I wasn't prepared for the huge increase in living expenses, though. Starting out with debt from the move, it spiraled until I was using student loans to make minimum payments on my CC's and I decided something had to give. Tried to cash out my 401k (ill-advised!), but they wouldn't let me, so I filed Ch7 in Nov 14. One of the worst days of my life. I have still never missed a payment on any card; I always took good care of my credit. We took a year off credit cards after discharge (Feb '15) to make sure we had our finances in order. I was approved one year post-DC for a QS1. I gardened that and my wife's $14k Venture (she apped a few months later, she only has one derog and the PR on her CR) for a year, then I read this board and realized I need a bit more RC for my score to increase. I also realized our utilization has been too high, which I'm working on fixing.

Last week, I got approved for DiscoverIT at $7500. I used online chat (and Discover as leverage) to get my QS1 transferred into a QS at $6500. I apped for a secured card from BoA (we really want the AK siggy), but was denied. I reconned and was told it was being sent to the manager, but she said it should go through since I'm 2 years post DC and it's fully secured. I'll know in 3-5 days. Either way, I'm planning on gardening for a while after this app spree.

Burned in my BK:

WF, Citi, local CU, Barclays Frontier card, AMEX (costco)

Goals: We are working on our scores so we can buy a new house if we decide to (we currently own, kept it in the BK). We also want the AK siggy so we can save up for a vacation together. Currently, we are sitting just under 700 with all three, hers are higher than mine, she might even be 700+ with an agency or two. 

Anyways, that's me! Pleasure to read all your stories, as well.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: My Rebuild thread

Thank you for sharing! I really love these "rebuild threads" as it gives everyone motivation. It really does help to see what others have gone through.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 8
AkiraTakamedo
Valued Member

I'm jealous of you guys with your large limits, my two CapOne cards (QS1 and Platinum) are only $1600 and $2000 respectively.

Message 3 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

You will get there! My first two cards had lower limits than that Smiley Happy
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had two CLI on the QS1. I think it started at 3k. DW and I couldn't believe it when she was approved for 14k...But I guess that's Cap One for you!
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing is that my Citi Sears card is on zero of my CB reports. I wonder how that happened (not that I'm complaining!).

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for BoA secured! Now to the garden for a year!

Message 7 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Akira, no need to be jelly, im sure somewhere someone's lovin your 1600 and 2000 Smiley Wink, Like Scupra says in time those limits will riseSmiley Happy

Sass, great story, congrats on the Boa, see ya in the gardenSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.