Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU post BK 7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU post BK 7

Hey everyone, i filed for chapter 7 last october, discharged in feb due to car loan paperwork being lost. I am working on rebuilding, and just got accepted into NFCU. I am trying to resist the urge to AP for a CC from them, for fear of denial. I burned alot of banks in the BK like sync, discover, cap 1, chase, and citi so i am really struggling to find  new love. Heres what i got since, looking for advice on improvement/when i should try to AP for NFCU CC?

Post BK i got to keep AU on Cathrines card 2400

My wifes chase AU stuck last report aug 17 for an account closed in the BK, reports 0 and good standing 3500, AU on wifes Kohls card 1000 prob the oldest at around 6 yrs newbies, Gordmans 250, victoria secret (shopping trick) 200, self lender 500 2 yr CD, Credit one 650 ollo 800 newest

just joined NFCU yesterday trying to do it right. Plan on closing C1 later this year, and trying for cap 1 after a solid yr since late payment later this year. Thanks for advice!

PS CK says scores 645-670

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU post BK 7

NFCU's BK policy as of April 2018 is this:

Unsecured Credit Cards by time since discharge:

0-12 months: No approval.

12-24 months: Max credit limit of $1,000

24+ months: Reviewed same as those without BK

Unsecured Loans by time since discharge:

0-6 months: No approval.

6+ months: Must have re-established credit by having 3+ tradelines on CBR with at least 6 months of history since discharge

Secured cards are not subject to these rules, though there is a hard inquiry and you must show an ability to repay (no high DTIs). You must also not have caused NFCU any losses. Many have reported secured card graduations at the 6 month mark. 

Given that your BK is less than a year old, I would expect a decline for an unsecured card. You could always try it -- if you reapply for a secured card your credit probably won't be pulled again.

When I worked there I would suggest people do the secured card trick to rebuild credit:

- Savings Secured loan for $1,000 

- Pay down 90% of it

- Use money that is released as collateral for a secured credit card

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually got a car loan (immediate approval) at 5 months post discharge from them.

BUT (and I just posted about this) I just now got a card for 1k which baffled me! (my college aged son, who also got the same offer from them, got one for 13k, crazy!)

How can they go by discharge date if BK falls off report before the discharge date? So, if my BK falls off in Dec of 2018 but my discharge date is 3-17, why (how) would it be 12-24 months from dishcarge? 

The reason I question that is I was also told the mortgage rules (for qualifying for conventional again) is 24 months from discharge...and I always thought it was 24 months from file date. Anyone know which is correct?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How can they go by discharge date if BK falls off report before the discharge date?  

I don't follow this question. What I can say is that I've seen plenty of credit reports where the discharge date is blank. Just a guess, but I believe that's why people are being granted credit earlier than they "should." Loan officers are probably just looking at the filing date and noting that the BK is discharged.

@Anonymous wrote:

So, if my BK falls off in Dec of 2018 but my discharge date is 3-17, why (how) would it be 12-24 months from dishcarge?  

I'm a bit confused by this too. A chapter 7 bankruptcy stays on your credit report for 10 years. A Chapter 13 stays for 7 years.

@Anonymous wrote:

The reason I question that is I was also told the mortgage rules (for qualifying for conventional again) is 24 months from discharge...and I always thought it was 24 months from file date. Anyone know which is correct? 

The mortgage seasoning period for a conventional (Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae) mortgage where the borrower has a chapter 7 bankruptcy is 4 years post-discharge or dismissal. This can be reduced to 2 years with certain extenuating cirumstances. 

For government loans (VA/FHA), the CH7 seasoning period is 2 years, which may be reduced to 1 year in certain cirumstances. 

Both of these timeframes assume the lender does not have a longer seasoning requirement.

Message 4 of 13
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

I apped for an unsecured card two months after discharge and was denied. In the denial letter they recommended a secured card which I got. At the 5 month mark, the card was unsecured and went from $900 credit limit to a $2,000 credit limit.

Message 5 of 13
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I would wait at least a year before applying for anything unsecured with Navy Federal as they updated their lending practices from what I have heard. I would get a secured loan for $1000 for 12 month term to add a positive trade line to your CR and a secured credit card. Once it graduates, you're good.

Guyatthebeach

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, what other insider tips can you tell us? I was a victim of a 100M ponzi scheme and had to CH7. At the time my flagship was 60k and had a personal loan of 30k.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was your gradutation 5 months of having the card or 5 statements?

Message 8 of 13
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

It was on the 5th statement

Message 9 of 13
sports1965
Frequent Contributor

So will NFCU approve me for an unsecured CC wIth an open BK13?

I already have a CC with them  ( was a secured CC That graduaded last month from $200 to $2000

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.