cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Blacklisted

tag
DonFico

Navy Federal Blacklisted

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy with NavyFed almost 9 years ago. I had a $500 secured credit card and $1500 left on a motorcycle loan. Obviously they got the money for the secured loan, so it should be only $1500 they were burned for.

Did anyone have success getting credit from them again several years of being blacklisted? That is, has anyone called the BK department out of the blue several years later, was able to pay them back, and later, received credit from them?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Navy Federal Blacklisted

There's plenty of people on here that have done it

Message 2 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@DonFico wrote:

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy with NavyFed almost 9 years ago. I had a $500 secured credit card and $1500 left on a motorcycle loan. Obviously they got the money for the secured loan, so it should be only $1500 they were burned for.

Did anyone have success getting credit from them again several years of being blacklisted? That is, has anyone called the BK department out of the blue several years later, was able to pay them back, and later, received credit from them?

Hi @DonFico ,

I would call and speak to a NFCU rep and see "if" you are pre-qualified for any credit cards. JMHO

Some people have been able to get back in good graces with them.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DonFico wrote:

Heck yeah! As it was mentioned up thread by @Brian_Earl_Spilner  there are many who have done it and recently too. It appears that the most successful course of action is to call and speak with the department that handles the repayment. IF (and that is a BIG if), you get someone who doesn't make it easy peasy for you to set up a repayment, just keep calling back until you get a helpful rep on the line. You may be lucky right out of the gate but if not, keep calling. Navy is amazing with second chances as soon as the past debt is settled. 

I look forward to following your return to the Navy family! GL!! Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 19
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

Just to clarify, @Anonymous probably meant to say paid in full vs settled. NFCU requires them to be made whole before you have a chance at getting new credit from them.

Best of luck!

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 5 of 19
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

I paid off an account in full while making deposits into my savings. When it was cleared I called to make sure all the departments that needed to be update as paid off, DID.

A few days later, I was approved for $4,900. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not know you culd voluntarily pay back a creditor. I thought if you went to pay one of them off they could all come back for a few bucks.

Message 7 of 19
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

while the BK estate is still active I believe you're correct, once the case is closed you can pay whoever you want for whatever you want 

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I offerred to pay back Amex for a card, even if it was $1000 limit. They have th ebest point system. They said I can pay them off but there is no guarantee I'd get a card again.

Message 9 of 19
2b2rich
Established Contributor

The one thing I have consistently read on this board is post and comments from people who burned NFCU but paid the debt, talked to the BK dept, and was back in the door.  I imagine there are extreme cases that might not be so cut and dry, but have definitely seen that they forgive.

Good luck!

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.