cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off Ch 13 early - any advice to accelerate new house situation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid off Ch 13 early - any advice to accelerate new house situation?

My wife and I filed for Chapter 13 in 2013 basically to save our house ... At the time I was between careers and had very little income. Over the past 4 years I've built a new career and went from about $14k yearly income when we filed to about $175k yearly income at this time. As a result of this, we were able to pay off the Chapter 13 at 100% about 18 months early. This was primarily for 2 reasons - (1) we had 12+ year old cars we owed nothing on that have now broken down and we need to replace and (2) we live in the same house we bought together 19 years ago, and with the addition of 2 kids over the past 10 years, we are desparate to move into a new home.

Given that information, we are at the point now where we cannot ignore purchasing a new car. We can afford to pay a high interest rate now (just paid off the Ch13) and refinance later in the year. But we definitely want to move to a new home which will be a significantly larger mortgage. I realize it may be 2 years before we can do this. 

But in the meantime, what can we do to to prepare for the next 2 years - in terms of buying a new car immediately, and in terms of repairing the house that has been falling apart for the past 8 years and preparing to do a massive upgrade in housing as quickly as possible?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid off Ch 13 early - any advice to accelerate new house situation?

I paid mine off early as well, but before I did that I actually got a new used car with 9% interest (my car was 12 years old too).  Yeah it was high but I was still in BR and the trustee agreed.  It helped me those months prior to discharge no doubt to have been making regular REPORTED payments to something!  Instead of buying a new car, find a great used car!  I did and my payments are only $263.  I put down quite a bit too though.

As far as the house thing you only need 2 years post discharge waiting if you want to go conventional.  I am just over one year post discharge and getting a mortgage via FHA. 

Message 2 of 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Have you checked Cap One Auto Navigator?  I bought a new car days after 13 dc and ended up with a rate in the 6's.  That was in September.  I refinanced the car since then.  As far as a mortgage, your best bet will be to take the time to reestablish your credit so you can get a better loan.  

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 7
mavric
New Contributor

CH 13   Discharged 2/28/17 , Have 2 new cars [new to us ] 2016 nissan altima CPO with 9 miles got it for $17k  3.49% @48 mo's .2016 dodge journey CPO it had 5100 miles

Got it for $19500 @3.49 for 72 mo's  Capital one auto ,approved us for up to 40k on the dodge and associaed credit union did the nissan. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The two yeat wait doesn't apply for chapter 13 as far as buying a home. You can even buy while you're still in your chapter 13. I'm sure you're able to buy right now.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious...how does one pay off Ch 13 off early? Im on the three year plan at $150 a month. I filed in Oct 2016.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just curious...how does one pay off Ch 13 off early? Im on the three year plan at $150 a month. I filed in Oct 2016.

By making extra payments.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.