Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed credit card pre-qualification

tag
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Penfed credit card pre-qualification

Still stinks. Hopefully one day a law will come out that if your pre-approved after a HP. No backing out at the last minute. Happens so often. Side note. Their website................I'll leave it at that.

Message 11 of 17
md_rebuild
Regular Contributor

I finally bit the bullet and applied based on their prequal page.  

One error I made was that I wasn't first a member, so I got the "your file is under review" followed by an email asking me to upload documents (SS card, DL, bill with address on it).   My guess is that if I would applied for membership first, then app'd for the card, I wouldn't have run into this problem.

I've uploaded the documents, but it's been less than 24 hrs, so no word yet.

BK7: Discharged Sept 2019
7/7/24:

Message 12 of 17
kympocalypse
Established Member

They just got me the same way for the same amount. Why bother having a prequal aspect if it means nothing? I wasted a HP for nothing. I'm joining NFCU and as soon as they approve me for literally anything, I'm done with PenFed. 

Message 13 of 17
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@kympocalypse wrote:

They just got me the same way for the same amount. Why bother having a prequal aspect if it means nothing? I wasted a HP for nothing. I'm joining NFCU and as soon as they approve me for literally anything, I'm done with PenFed. 

ditto here....I disputed the HP, let's see what they say to that? (expecting to have it change zero but still - feels like bate and switch to me)

Message 14 of 17
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

A PenFed pre-qual is like a plane with no wings. 

FICO EX 829 EQ 824 TU 844

Current lineup as of 9/24
American Express Blue Cash Everyday 20K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 20K I American Express Cash Magnet 5K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 5K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One QS MC 11K I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa 25K I NFCU Amex 20K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 20K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 11.5K I Bread Financial American Express 10.5K I AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 8.5K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Saks Fifth Avenue World Elite MC 8.3K I JCPenney Mastercard 6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I PayPal Cash Back Visa 9K I
Message 15 of 17
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@Jeffster1 wrote:

A PenFed pre-qual is like a plane with no wings. 

eh kinda, it's more like a plane with no wings, no engine and no pilot - but at least it's shiny from the outside

Message 16 of 17
janderson126
Contributor

Sad to hear this, and it sucks that CCC can get away with it. The goal is to move to the Navy as soon as possible. I have multiple cards through them, and they have been very generous. I hope you can get with the Navy soon. Good luck in the meantime.

AMEX Delta Gold | Travel | 5k | 12/19
AMEX Delta Plat | 7k | 4/21
Navy Rewards | Gas | 18k | 06/20
Capone Savor | Entertainment | 3.5k | 1/20
Cap one | 6.5k | 1/10
Cap one Walmart | 2k| 10/17
PayPal Master Card | 2% Everyday Spend | 15k | 6/20
Venmo | 12K | 01/2024

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.