Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Discharge (April) Update

tag
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

Re: Post Discharge (April) Update

Congrats on the discharge! 

Capital One (unless recently changed) only requires 12 months to lapse from date of charge off ~OR~ BK...whichever came first before you CAN be eligible for another one of their cards.

Discover can be tricky. I've heard of people getting in with them a few months after discharge (both secured and unsecured) and then others who did NOT IIB, but can't get a prequal/approval for 2-4 years after discharge. They've always been known as one of the more conservative credit card issuers. Myself, for example, had an account with Discover prior to filing BK...I was never a single day late, etc on the account and closed it right before filing my CH7 with a $0.00 balance. I'm almost 3-years post discharge and each time I prequal I get the "prior relationship blah blah blah" prequal decline reason.

I do agree 100% if you can get in with NFCU, or any CU for that matter, they would definitely be your "golden ticket" to your credit rebuild!

Hope this helps!

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DebtStinks This is great information!
 I'm definitely waiting to try both about 13 months out of discharge. I don't plan to get too many cards, I just want to get 2-3 unsecured and eventually cancel the secured ones. For now, the secured cards should help me reach my goals. I got a feeling I may have the same discover outcome but we will see lol. 

Thank you 

Message 12 of 15
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

Stay away from Barclays, you will not get a card with them. They screw over thier prime members 

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AzCreditGuy Good to know. Thanks 

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the discharge! You look set with your 3 CC's for now. Agree with others on the self lender loan. Do your secured cards graduate? If not, maybe start looking around the 6 month mark for Discover or something that might graduate once you have more good credit history. I also am getting no love from Disco, IIB them for a small amount but...YMMV big time, would continue to check their prequal site regardless. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.