Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems With Experian After Filing!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problems With Experian After Filing!!!!

Okay, so I have finally uncovered why so many “bankruptcy friendly” creditors have turned my husband and I down! Experian has marked all of our accounts included in bankruptcy as late? I made sure to continue making minimum payments even though it was near to impossible until our bankruptcy was filed... I called in to experian after disputing online and getting everything kicked back, and they informed us that although our credit status is “never late” on all these accounts because we filed bankruptcy in August of 2019 the account is going to show late? That’s “just how experian works” And EVERY payment that we make on our mortgage after our August 2019 filing will also be late? Although the accounts and payments are ALL on time with the creditor? I got into quite a heated discussion with the Experian representative and he came to the conclusion that “you don’t file bankruptcy for good credit” and told me there was nothing I could do. This is how Experian works. Is this true?? Everything’s 100% payment history with Transunion and Equifax. HELP!!
16 REPLIES 16
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

Re: Problems With Experian After Filing!!!!

Mine says the same thing and am waiting discharge. You pretty much have to wait until discharge and then clean it up. If you were not late, then legally they have to report it as such. Some one here can give you the place to look it up. But for now, you have to wait. What Credit cards did you go for? Some are considered friendly but have reseasoning period that must pass before you can get in. 

EDIT: Are you a CH7 or CH13. If you are 13, that maybe why as well, since you wouldn't be discharged yet, and lacking trustee approval?

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 2 of 17
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

Like I said, someone can chip in with laws regarding on what and when it can be posted on your reports. I do know they legally have to report things that are accurate. If you paid all the way up to filing, and they report lates, that is not accurate and I believe its a $1000 per offense. Back to you getting credit cards. You need 3 cards and one loan to build your profile. As I stated before, the prime cards usually have a reseasoning period. Some have an outright "ban" that can last for 5 yrs or even up to the BK being deleted off your reports. It also depends on who you burned with you BK. Unfortuntely, subprime card land is gonna be your friend for atleast a yr or two. Credit one, Open Sky, Indigo, some others as well. 

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed chapter 7- my husband and I filed at different times, but I didn’t bother to look until his was done in 2019. I filed August 2017, discharged December 2017. He Filed in August 2019, Discharged in December 2019 (bad time of the year apparently, haha) so everything is discharged in both our cases. They’re showing the mortgage as 6 late payments, and they’re all paid. And they even show the dates they were paid (which aren’t late) but we were told because it was filed in bankruptcy they will show as late. For all creditors in both our cases, the month in which we filed, every creditor is marked late for that month, and we were told (only by Experian) that because we filed that month they will show late regardless of payment status
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar issue with my accounts.  I made all my minimum payments up until filing.  I'm currently awaiting discharge (March).  My current score with Experian is 511 while the other two bureaus have me in the 680s.  All of the accounts but one on Experian that were included in bankruptcy say I have a late payment.  I've made all payments on time in my 9 year credit history.  Also, I can't even dispute some of the late payments as the notes on the account say "CH.7 Bankruptcy/Never late".

I'm hoping it corrects itself after discharge but I'm doubtful.  It sucks too because a lot of rental applications such as Zillow use the Experian score.

Message 5 of 17
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

@Firemedic1 What is your take?

From what I can remember. Sorry early morning for me. They have to report accurate info, if you were in fact current up to the date of filing, then they have to report that as such, nothing during the bankruptcy and back to accurate after discharge. If they report it late because its "their policy" that is not correct or legal and can be held accountable. I would keep on disputing and find out what your rights are under the Fair Reporting laws. Also for bankruptcy laws as that was done during your BKs. More experienced people will have better answers for you. 

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s what happened to me I had to click “other” on the dispute and I typed it in that it was showing late then of course the creditor responded back with it’s reported correctly stating never late? So I called Experian directly and that was their response
Message 7 of 17
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

I'd get the needed info. Laws and punishments for reporting wrong info. Have you found out if its the creditor reporting it, or just the CRA? Build a plan and attack the ones reporting the lates. 

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems to be just the CRA, since its only happening with Experian. When I orderered my annual credit report from the free credit report site Experian was the only one showing issues. When I payed through Experian to get all 3 bureaus it showed across all three in the "overview" but not in the actual account history. And through credit karma for equifax and Transunion its all 100% payment history. I tried to dispute it through Experian and the creditor responded that its being reported correctly and in the status of the account it states "chapter 7 discharged/ Never Late." It only shows in some weird part of the Experian system as a "late payment." 

Message 9 of 17
wa3more
Established Contributor

Send a letter to their legal counsel telling them what happened and you intend to file suit if it isn't corrected. They will fix. 

stop wasting time on phone with low level clerks who know nothing. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.