Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild Recommendations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuild Recommendations

Hi All, I've been lurking for a while now since we decided to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy. This forum has been a great resource and bright light while we worked our way through this trying time. Thank you for all of the great information!

We had our MOC at the beginning of this month and we are currently waiting on discharge in August. I think I have a good idea which way to go once we are discharged and verify everything is cleared on our report (we aren't looking to rush back in, just to start the rebuild).

From reading all the posts; CapOne looks to be a good start for the both of us. We do have student loans that will restart once discharge is completed (About 100k), so I am not sure if that hurts our chances of approvals. We talked about the self lender loans, but I wasn't sure if student loans would count. Any other recommendations? 

Who we burned.

NFCU Smiley Sad

Chase

Synchrony

BoA

Target 

Other Half:

NFCU (not sure, she was joint account holder on checking, but only authorized user on the card)

Synchrony

Citi(Best Buy)

Thanks again!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Rebuild Recommendations

You are in the final stretch of your BK. Good for you for waiting until after  your discharge, that way you can make sure your reports are correct.

Cap one is a good start and yes your student loans will count towards your installment need. You can always try for 2 more cards and the secured route will probably be what you will be able to do.

Open sky is one  and not sure how quick you can get a discover secured card.

I would stay away from the First premiers and credit ones if you can.

Good luck

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

You are in the final stretch of your BK. Good for you for waiting until after  your discharge, that way you can make sure your reports are correct.

Cap one is a good start and yes your student loans will count towards your installment need. You can always try for 2 more cards and the secured route will probably be what you will be able to do.

Open sky is one  and not sure how quick you can get a discover secured card.

I would stay away from the First premiers and credit ones if you can.

Good luck

+1 What she said.....................Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. I would stay farrrrrr away from first premier, credit one, and anything with high interest. Penfed is a great choice since you mentioned that you had a NFCU account. If you want to add a store card, I would recommend a comenity card to add the retail revolving. Also another horrible horrible card that is flowing through my mailers is one called Fortiva. The have some of the worst rates I have ever seen. I have seen just about them all! Capital one from research only, seems to tbe the foot in the door company. I would also recommend joining a credit union and getting a credit builder loan. I got one very early on and it has worked wonders for my credit!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My sister got approved by Discover card last week and there Chpt 13 was dismissed Dec 2018.  She got $1200 from them.  None of them was included in her BK.    Also she just got approved for a Cap One card this week.   I filed Chpt 13 dismissed in 2013.  I only included Cap One in mine but got approved probably 1 year after dismissed for QuickSilver One and Venture One.   Got approved for 2 Navy Fed cards in 2017.  Got my first Amex card April 2019.   None but Cap One was included in BK.   

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.