Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Platinum Card from American Express Approval

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Business Platinum Card from American Express Approval

Hi everyone!  Long-time reader, yet only second-time poster here in Business Credit after the Delta Platinum Business Card I got about 15 months ago.  Hot off the heels of my $40k BECU approval and $23.5k in SP CLIs the past week or so I finally decided to go for this card.  I wanted the 100k offer that recently ended but wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to cheat myself by having to move the majority of spending to this card for 3 months in order to meet the $25k spending on that offer.

85k for $20,000 in spend in 3 months is a reasonable amount for me and with some known large expenses coming, it was finally time.  Since I have decided once again in 2020 to focus on revenue flights with Delta and SkyTeam partners (except where I get incredible value for aware fares), this card works wonderfully with its 35% rebate to make all of my Membership Rewards points worth 1.54 cents (plus earnings from Delta status bring this closer to 2 cents).  So I'll be shifting grocery spend to Gold from Altitude Reserve and restaurant spend back to Gold from Altitude Reserve and CSR.  Because of the substantial boost I'll receive on the value of my existing MRs with the way I redeemed them in 2019 and will again in 2020, this Welcome Offer is really valued at well over $4000 for me!  I was a little nervous about the "Extending your Membership" language, but it was a quick spin before the approval screen.  EX 08 is 754 right now due to BT-shuffling.

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 8.39.06 PM copy.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-06 at 8.40.50 PM.png

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Business Platinum Card from American Express Approval

I sometimes lurk here in 'Business' but I seldom post other than special occasions, and this definitely qualifies!  Smiley Very Happy

Very nice catch, my friend!  screamer.gif

Have fun with all those MRs! Smiley Very Happy

and-thats-how-its-done.jpg

Message 2 of 24
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 3 of 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats, K! Shame you couldn't wait for the 100k offer but 85k is still nice especially since you can meet that gaudy spend lol

Sigh, I sometimes wish they didn't nerf the 50% rebate for MR purchases flights for biz plat cards but something is better than nothing and one of the most underappreciated perks about it

Message 4 of 24
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats @K-in-Boston !

Message 5 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Thanks everyone!  Had to edit my post because in my sleepless haze I wrote "back to this card" twice instead of Gold.  Certainly going for 4x on restaurants and grocery, not 1x.  Haha.

Yeah the nerf a few years years ago from 50% rebate to 35% rebate wasn't great, but 35% rebate still means you are getting 1.54 cents per point, making it very slightly better than CSR and Altitude Reserve in that regard.  (I even originally made the easy math mistake myself when planning for this by counting it as 1.35 cents - oops!  But even that made it worthwhile.)  But one thing is that even though Biz Plat + Platinum + Gold comes at a very steep combined AF, it's easy to rack up the points.

Message 6 of 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The spending power and 1.5X earnings on bigger purchases is the biggest draw for me especially because pharmacygirl's legal drug purchases are stupid expensive 😐

In a related note it's why we're shifting some biz spend onto my PR card and making her own PR card our new personal spending to separate expenses because I wanted a bigger return on general biz spend and having too many MR points to spend

Message 7 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:

too many MR points to spend

Heart  I hate you.  Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

too many MR points to spend

Heart  I hate you.  Smiley LOL

Smiley LOLHeart

Message 9 of 24
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval K!!
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.