Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Inquiry Non Factor

tag
Bdert
Established Member

Hard Inquiry Non Factor

Just applied for 2 business credit cards, Chase/Truist. To my surprise, as a personal guarantor, although the inquiry shows up on the file, score never decreased. Anyone ever seen this? The Truist inquiry never showed up. Not sure whether the card was approved based on 2 mortages they service. It's quite odd, I knew my score would decrease at least 5-10 points but it didn't.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Hard Inquiry Non Factor

Where did you check your scores, were they FICO ?  Also how long ago did you apply, sometimes inquiries may not immediately show up on your reports. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 12
Bdert
Established Member

Hey, I have a sub with MYFICO. This happened a month ago. The actual inquiry is listed on the file but the score didn't decrease as a result which is what typically happens.

Message 3 of 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If your score didn't go down then I'd guess there was likely some other factor that offset it.  

But regardless, congrats on the double approvals ! Smiley Very Happy

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 12
GZG
Valued Contributor

@Bdert wrote:

Just applied for 2 business credit cards, Chase/Truist. To my surprise, as a personal guarantor, although the inquiry shows up on the file, score never decreased. Anyone ever seen this? The Truist inquiry never showed up. Not sure whether the card was approved based on 2 mortages they service. It's quite odd, I knew my score would decrease at least 5-10 points but it didn't.

inquires don't always cause a loss of points, particularly if you already have some hard inquires on your report, it's not unreasonable if you have 5 inquires, for inquires 6 and 7 not to lose points before you get to inquiry 8 where you will lose points.

but unless you have access to a daily score source like experian's paid plan, you wouldn't 100% know if the inquiry didn't cost you points or you gained points from other factors to make up for it

Starting FICO 8:
Current FICO 8:

0/6, 3/12, 10/24
Message 5 of 12
Bdert
Established Member

My thoughts exactly. Thanks!

Message 6 of 12
Bdert
Established Member

Interesting. Never had an inquiry not reduce the score to some degree.

Message 7 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Bdert wrote:

Score impact of an inquiry could be a month or so down the road.

And sometimes, if you have other inquiries, there won't be any short term effect at all.

Total revolving limits 587500 (521k reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 721

Message 8 of 12
citymunky
Established Contributor

@Bdert wrote:

Yes my last few HPs and even account opening had no effect on my FICOs scores. Now VC3 and VC4 when crazy. 

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper $1 CL (Jul21-Jul22), Sable $250CL{Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum $750CL (Jul21-Aug23), Prosper $1.9K CL (Jan22-Apr24), Self $625 CL {$350 Secured } (Aug21-Jul24)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 9 of 12
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That’s Terrific!! Congratulations on your Approvals!!👏🏼🍾🥂

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.