cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one get a business card if they don’t own a business?

tag
Cblough93
Contributor

How does one get a business card if they don’t own a business?

My grandfather has a chase ink card but he was retired and did not own a business. 

he was a CFO at one point, and I'm sure he had a corporate credit card as a result of that. And maybe he was allowed to keep the card, but he just had to pay the bill himself after he left? I have no idea how stuff like that used to work. Im pretty sure I would not be allowed to keep my corporate card after I left even if they transferred the card and the bills over to my name 

FICO 8 scores
770/730/720
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: How does one get a business card if they don’t own a business?

Corporate cards can't be transferred to an individual, Just like joint personal credit cards can't be put into one of the party's names while dropping the other party from the account.

Any lender that allows for sole prop, or start up businesses will issue a credit card to that person/business. All the mainstream lenders, regardless of small business business structure, sole prop, LLC, S-corp, etc...  base approvals on a PG, personal credit history and scores.

Message 2 of 7
Cblough93
Contributor

Yea he was never a sole proprietor and never owned any sort of small business. 

like I said the closest he ever got to owning a business was when he was a CFO for a couple years over in England. 

But I guess it's possible the chase ink card is very lenient on their definition of a business card and gave it to him? 

FICO 8 scores
770/730/720
Message 3 of 7
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

While a bit unusual, it's possible the company he worked for allowed him to keep the card while requiring him to reimburse them for his spend. What's more likely is he could have said for example, he had a consulting business structured as a sole prop using his SSN. Any type of side gig can be turned into a "business". 

Message 4 of 7
Cblough93
Contributor

As far as I know he never did any consulting work, he was fully retired. And even before then he never did consulting work. And he wasn't the type of guy to lie about doing consulting work just to get a credit card. He had no need to do that. 

does anyone know when the chase ink card came out? He was a CFO back in the 70s so if the ink card wasn't invented yet we know he did not get it during his career

FICO 8 scores
770/730/720
Message 5 of 7
Cblough93
Contributor

Just looked it up,

it appears the ink card was first released in 2009, far after his career and well into his retirement. Maybe they offered it to him for being a valued customer for a long time to try to help spread the "chase ink" name.

like some kind of word of mouth thing to get the name out there?

it wouldn't be the first time a company used a person to market a new product

FICO 8 scores
770/730/720
Message 6 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Cblough93 wrote:

My grandfather has a chase ink card but he was retired and did not own a business. 

he was a CFO at one point, and I'm sure he had a corporate credit card as a result of that. And maybe he was allowed to keep the card, but he just had to pay the bill himself after he left? I have no idea how stuff like that used to work. Im pretty sure I would not be allowed to keep my corporate card after I left even if they transferred the card and the bills over to my name 

The Ink card isn't a corporate card. It's considered a business card, which is different.

It's supposed to be just for business, but Chase for some reason doesn't seem to care. 

Total revolving limits 589000 (521k reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 721

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.