Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading my AMEX BBP

tag
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Upgrading my AMEX BBP

I would like some confirmation i read and heard on youtubers about being able to upgrade/downgrade Amex Business cards say from a Business Platinum/Gold/Green with an AF down to the BBP. I know its a CC but i read it was possible because its still a MR point earning card. My BBP turns 1 year old next month so any specific time i should wait before jumping the gun ? I want to upgrade to the Business Gold, especially now with the changes.

Is it exactly 12 months or 13 or longer to be eligible and be safe with them ?

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 700
| TransUnion FICO 8 : 688 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 700
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
5 REPLIES 5
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrading my AMEX BBP

@Mdowning30 wrote:

I would like some confirmation i read and heard on youtubers about being able to upgrade/downgrade Amex Business cards say from a Business Platinum/Gold/Green with an AF down to the BBP. I know its a CC but i read it was possible because its still a MR point earning card. My BBP turns 1 year old next month so any specific time i should wait before jumping the gun ? I want to upgrade to the Business Gold, especially now with the changes.

that's never been a thing afaik? you can't go from credit card to charge card, nor can you go from charge card to credit card?

do you have a specific offer from amex offering the upgrade?

if you want the amex business gold, go searching around for that 150k offer and apply for it and keep your no AF BBP 

do you have the spend for the SUB? 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ymmv-american-express-business-gold-150000-point-no-lifetime-language... 

Starting FICO 8:
Current FICO 8:

2/6, 3/12, 11/24
Message 2 of 6
Alephbet
Regular Contributor

I have only heard of downgrading to the BBP from a Business Gold and that was a last resort offer to keep the customer from canceling altogether as I understood it. I would be surprised if you could upgrade. You might as well apply and get the SUB. Even if you can't meet the spend and don't get the bonus, it's no different than upgrading and either way you would be locked out of getting the bonus in the future most likely. 

Bold are regularly used for spending
AOD Visa Signature | Curve Card | X1 Credit Card | Target RedCard | Venmo Card
AMEX: Schwab Platinum | 2 x Gold | Green | 2 x Business Platinum | 2 x Business Gold | Blue Business Plus
AMEX: Amazon Business Prime | Delta Reserve | Delta Reserve Business | Marriott Bonvoy Business
Chase: Aeroplan | Amazon Prime | World of Hyatt | World of Hyatt Business | Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
Chase: Ink Business Cash | Ink Business Preferred | Southwest Performance Business
BofA: Alaska Airlines Business | Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards
Citi AAdvantage Executive | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Business
U.S. Bank Business Triple Cash Rewards | U.S. Bank Business Platinum | GM Business Card
Apple Card | Navy Federal Flagship Rewards | PenFed Gold | PenFed Platinum Rewards
Capital One Platinum | Capital One QuicksilverOne | FNBO Evergreen Business
Player 2: Delta Platinum AMEX | Chase Freedom | 2 x Chase Freedom Flex | Apple Card
Message 3 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Mdowning30 wrote:

I don't think there is such a thing as downgrading or upgrading between the charge cards and the credit cards, even their MR-earning credit cards. 

Total revolving limits 589000 (521k reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 721

Message 4 of 6
jibc1978
Frequent Contributor

my understanding is that people use the BBP as a no AF business credit card alternative so that they keep their MR points after closing any of the charge cards

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Store Cards:

Credit Health:

Message 5 of 6
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

I guess ill find out next month when i inquiry about it.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 700
| TransUnion FICO 8 : 688 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 700
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.